River fishing SIB

hayshaka

Recruit
First off thanks for the great community here - have spent lots of time on the site and appreciate all the great insight.

Looking to get an inflatable for fishing. Primary use will be on the Potomac river, both upper and lower, with some forays into West Virginia on the New. I live in an apartment without the ability to trailer and will have to transport in my hatchback.

Right now looking at the 2020 models of the Performance and Outfitter versions of the Saturn Kaboat ~14-15'. I like the idea of being able to throw a fishing frame on, with the addition of the motor. Have also been looking at some hypalon brands (Achilles, ect).

I guess I'm looking for some direction from people more experienced. Don't mind spending some money on a good SIB, but not sure what direction I should head. Thanks!

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Can't speak for the New River, but grew up on the upper Potomac River. Fish the Lower Potomac on the regular basis.

Not sure what an SIB buys you? You would be better off getting a Kayak setup for fishing rather than an inflatable.

You can just about walk across the river at most locations. Most "River Rats" run John boats with jet drives

hayshaka

Recruit
I'd love a Jon boat but living inside the beltway, space is a premium right now. Wanting something a bit bigger than a kayak so another person can ride too, and want the stability of being able to stand.

Actually just found the Stryker inflatable brand so looking at those as well.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If going for a Saturn Inflatable Don't go for the K version, are darn narrow, go for a minium 12" footer whether with an air or alum deck powered with a min 9.8 HP motor. Tohatsu are better priced than same rebadged Mercs. Can also check Yamah and Suzuki same HP models. The boat/motor combo must be equipped with short shaft motors to perform well. A wider sib is a much better platform for fishing while standing on deck along better overall water performance, will enjoy it more...

Happy Boating