Launch wheels for Mariner 4

jillig

Recruit
I am outfitting a Mariner 4 I just bought. My concern is I will need to inflate and rig in lake parking lots and move boat to the water. I will typically be alone for fishing, so the weight of the boat is of concern. Thinking about modifying the motor mount to hold some flip up wheels (as seen on RIB with transoms), but concerned that will put too much pressure on back of boat where the motor mount is attached. Any thoughts, ideas, or advice?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard.

I would be leery of modifying the motor mount. The motor mount is barely wide enough for a motor and the wheels would be narrow leading to tip overs. Also not much meat to the mount.

An inflatable boat dolly is a better method. Some PVC pipe, fittings and a couple of wheels can be used to make your own. If it's done right, the dolly can be broken down and collapsed.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Launch wheels are well supported on inflatable boats that have a build in wooden of FRP transom, will have my doubts about putting such on a flimsy unsupported thin pvc fabric material. Put all your fishing gear next to the boat ramp, fill the boat up and out you go, reverse when heading back to terra firme...

Happy Boating

jillig

Recruit
Thanks for both replies - you confirmed my thinking. I will take the dolly approach, should be easy enough to make one that I can break down for transport.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I hate to say this because it's overused, but Youtube has a few videos of homemade PVC dollies for inflatables.

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
These are heavy duty and fit in 6'5" pickup bed. They float which is why I went with wood. That's a 14' boat they are under. I put the 175 pound motor on too. Worked well the past 9 years. Truck will pull boat out but I attach line to dolly ends...NOT boat.

Attachments

• photo324715.jpg
    photo324715.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 16

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
BR,

That set up works fantastic well for that type of pro boat. If inflated to at least to 2.0 PSI will achieve a rigid long structure. The issue with those cheapo inflatables is that will flex while being transported on dollies, transport racks, whatever they are called, worse if heavily deck loaded.

If too much pressure is put to the tubes to achieve more rigidity can end blowing the seams badly. Those cheapo inflatables are made with just one layer of unsupported 0.3-0.4 mm pvc fabrics compared to the 1.2 mm 3 layer supported fabric your nice inflatable was made with.

Better would be a flat, light bed transport you can put that inflatable on top along fishing gears and transport the inflatable from say the parking lot to the launching ramp, beach whichever from the car, truck and viceverse when returning to terra firme.

Happy Boating