Buying and installing a Bimini/Canopy top on an Intex Mariner 4

GabCH

Cadet
Hi everyone!

I'm looking at buying a bimini/canopy for my mariner 4. So far I have found two models that could do the job: SeaEagle Wide Canopy (https://www.seaeagle.com/Accessories/covers-canopies/wide-canopy) or the OceanSouth 4 bow Bimini Top (https://www.oceansouth.com/shop/bimini-tops/aluminum-biminis/4-bow-bimini-aluminium/).

I actually like the OceanSouth one better, it is a bit longer (20cm / 8") and it folds up nice too, but it is narrower than the SeaEagle (10cm / 4"). I am not sure if that is going to influence much in practice.

Could someone explain how I will be able to install this on my boat? For example, should it be inflated when I glue the attachment base/pads? I would still like to be able to row, so this needs to be taken into account. I will later add an electric onboard so need to think about that too. Never having done this means I may be forgetting about something important!

I don't have my mariner 4 here with me so I am not 100% sure of the width I need to attach/install it correctly, I know this is different from the canopy's width by about +-5%. If someone knows this it would be great! I know the SeaEagle fits on the mariner 4 so I used that as an example for dimensions...

​​​​​​​Thanks for your help!
Gab

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

Bad idea to install a bimini on top a flimsy unsupported fabric inflatable, with slight wind or while powering the motor the tubes will flex badly. Biminis holds very nice on tubes manufactured with thicker PVC fabrics found in more pro inflatables. Tubes must be inflated to their recommended working temp for bimini to work as expected.

Happy Boating

GabCH

Cadet
Hi Sea Rider , thanks for the welcome and the input. I have seen a lot of people that have pur a bimini top on the Mariner 4. I do see what you are saying though.
​​
Unfortunately I cannot get a "pro" inflatable because I still need to deflate it when I am finished using it so that I may transport and store it. Is there anything I can do to protect us from the sun?

Thanks!
Gab

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Gabch,

You can install a biminy to protect yourself from the sun which each year is highly increased, forgot to mention than those basic inflatables are used with underpowered portable motors of around 2.5 to max 5 HP ones. If you go boating at slow or fast displacement speeds the thin material will flex much less that at full plane at speed. From all 3 mentioned brands choose the one with thicker PVC fabric to flex less. Which type of electric or gasoline motor do you plan to power it with, how about HP size ?

Canopy Install.JPG

Happy Boating