How to store a sm secondary OB on 14 SIB

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
Got a big trip in Lake Superior next month chasing some tall ships around the Apostle Islands. Due to safety concerns with my eight year old 25HP I picked up a new Tohatsu 6hp. I'm thinking of attaching it to the aluminum bow seat unless anyone has better idea's on storage? I'll bolt an "L" shaped 2x6 to seat so OB can rest with skeg on aluminum floor (probably a little piece of rubber directly under skeg on floor).

Attachments

• photo317633.jpg
    photo317633.jpg
    120.3 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You mean storing the motor when Sib is in use or stored after use ? If after use store it on a motor stand whether metal or wooden for motor to stand fully vertical when not in use.

Happy Boating

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
Here's a pic of the test proto type. I was going to drill and bolt it to the aluminum seat but decided to just lash it down since I might want it to be able to shift a little if need be (slide a boat cushion inside tube and OB to protect from friction rub). The Tohatsu 6hp is only 57 pounds so should ride ok with a piece of rubber under the skeg.

Attachments

• photo318402.jpg
    photo318402.jpg
    163.3 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Be aware that seats are removable ones, just holds downwards onto their side holders, any motor installed onto the seat directly or by any other means of clamping mechanism could fly with unhooked seat to transom area, injure a boater or fall into the deep blue when encountering heavy wavy, bumpy water conditions.

Happy Boating

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Welcome to the Apostles! However, the lake up here is a mean animal... Watch the weather, wear a lifejacket, have a
good marine radio. Cell coverage don't work between the islands to well. They are going to put up a tower, just not there yet.

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
Be aware that seats are removable ones, just holds downwards onto their side holders, any motor installed onto the seat directly or by any other means of clamping mechanism could fly with unhooked seat to transom area, injure a boater or fall into the deep blue when encountering heavy wavy, bumpy water conditions.

Happy Boating

What!!! I've never used the dang things because their in the way. I only installed them once and from what I remember the boat had to be deflated somewhat. If they pull out that easy I'll have to rethink this plan. The model SIB I have does have low D-rings close to floor to lash stuff down.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A load (motor) attached to front seat will pull upwards more easily when encountering a wave, if plan using as so, better secure the lower leg to the floor strapped against something.

Happy Boating