Why does Tohatsu 10 hr oil change not change the filter

RBee

Recruit
I was surprised to see that the 10 hour maintenance oil change for my new (2017) Tohatsu 20HP EFI engine did not require an oil filter change. They wait until 200 hours for the first oil filter change. Given that I thought the goal was to remove any metals from the break-in, it confused me. Does anyone know why this is?

w2much

Lieutenant
My assumption would be that Tohatsu does not expect there to be any metals floating around. If there are they would be caught in the filter.That is what it is for. Once in the filter they are not going to recirculate through the system.Other than that you have clean oil which does not need to be changed for 200 hours.Also throughout the break in keeping the correct same oil within probably lends to the breaking in of the motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
4 strokes motors at least Tohatsu ones are known to "make oil" with use will increment the level of oil it was previously filled to say max level on the dipstick. So it's a good idea to change the oil and filter at max 100 worked hours after break in period has ended. If plan metering by hour use, install an hour or an hour tach induction meter.

Happy Boating