Achilles inflatable dingy will not hold air---old 1987

vrod

Recruit
Achilles 1987 10 ft dingy

have slow leak i cannot find need help advise

kcassells

Fleet Admiral
If you are able to drain it out properly then fill it with some water. Alternative could be with air and gas test spray bubble detector.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGHSIDE-CH...IAAOSwNSxVCu4c

s-l500.jpg

Woodonglass

Supreme Mariner
get a spray bottle and put a couple tablespoons of dishwashing soap in it with water. OVER inflate the boat, but not TOO much. then Spray the entire boat until you see bubbles. Consult the MFG for patching instructions.

vrod

Recruit
How do I check for leak??? how do I fix leak if found have had boat in pool but seen no bubbls

jbcurt00

Staff member
vrod pls avoid starting duplicate topics

Both have been merged

If you think your topic would be better served in a different forum, ask any Mod to move it for you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
That's a 32 year oldie, if fabric is already porous, hardened, cracked will keep lossing air, time to get a new one..

Happy Boating

I joined this forum just to say Put your time and money in a new dinghy. I wasted more than two separate weeks of my season last year repairing 18year old Achilles hypalon. Started on existing patches that leaked. Thought I was done. Nope, while cruising the next weakest spot became the next leak. Also spent time and money on floorboards. Shudda put the $600+ into a new dinghy and spent more time in the water. First purchase this year was new RIB.
My advice: DON'T even think about fixing an inflatable that old.

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
All depends on your resources and time. You probably won't get it so airtight that you could leave it all season, but it could be good for a couple weeks at a time. I have a 25 year old and a 15 year old and got them both sealed up enough to enjoy them. Use the spray and soap and check every seam for any looseness. Any that are even remotely loose you should take apart and re-glue. Not sure if yours is hypalon or PVC, but make sure you find out and use the right glue.

Brand new is nice but some folks don't always have that option.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There's a great difference in elapsed years between a 38 year oldie and a 15-25 year old ones....Nothing is eternal...

Happy Boating