Inflatable or rib?

Paul_USVI

Cadet
I have a Sea Eagle 9.5 that I run an 8hp on. It’s ok but the bow comes up more than I’d like Under power with just me in it. On the positive side, it fits perfectly on the roof of the Land Rover, and is lighte enough to put up there/get down without too much hassle. I’m considering getting a rib instead. How much more will a rib weigh? Will an 8hp be enough? Any specific recommendations? It’s heading to the Caribbean so will be inflated year round. It will be used for exploring the coast line, fishing, and going between the islands in.

Attachments

• photo313297.jpg
    photo313297.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
a RIB is an inflatable.... Rigid Inflatable Boat... what you have is a SIB ( Soft Inflatable Boat)

move forward when its just you.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
How many passengers will be onboard a which size Rib ? Depending on size and if being a one or two layer deck a Rib can weight as much as half to double the weight of a Sib of similar size.

Which 8 HP brand is it ? An 8 is a bit under powered for more than 2 up worse if being heavy ones. Just good for fast displacement speed if with more onboard. Will be good to power a yacht. sailboat tender.

Happy Boating

Paul_USVI

Cadet
How many passengers will be onboard a which size Rib ? Depending on size and if being a one or two layer deck a Rib can weight as much as half to double the weight of a Sib of similar size.

Which 8 HP brand is it ? An 8 is a bit under powered for more than 2 up worse if being heavy ones. Just good for fast displacement speed if with more onboard. Will be good to power a yacht. sailboat tender.

Happy Boating

Two people aboard, very rarely four people on board. I’d like to stay under 12’ in length. My 8hp are a Mercury 4 stroke and a Johnson 2-stroke.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
There's an interesting 10.8 footer 2 layer deck/ hull alum version made by Merc Marine, check their web page under Alum Rib. A flat deck is better than a single layer round deck when transpoorting objects that needs to be sitting up or fishing standing up.

There are also other nice Rib brands such as AB, Zodiac, Avon but at a much higher prices. Won't go wrong with the Alum Rib model whether built with Hypalon (CSM) or German PVC fabrics. That ribs is intended to be powered with at least a15 HP motor with 4 up don't expect a wow water performance with any 8 HP motor, just fast displacement speed with 4 and plane with 2 up.

Can always maximize one less pitch from current installed prop to pull wot revs up, get a faster hole shot, be on its way faster depending on deck load.

Move forward while there's only the driver means shifting deck weight way forward to plane faster...

Click image for larger version  Name:	Fast Hole Shot.JPG Views:	1 Size:	108.5 KB ID:	10745389

Happy Boating

Last edited: