Inflatable Added Protection

jrdamien

Cadet
OK I pulled the trigger on an inflatable. It's a Saturn but it doesn't have the added protection on the tube bottoms. I am going to add said protection.

I know where I can buy denier pvc by the foot and similarly pvc rubstrake. BUT, instead of official "rubstrake" at $15 a foot is there any good reason not to use PVC stair tread which, by all reasoning, should be the exact same product?

And instead of denier by the foot, what about vinyl pool liner? Again, this isn't to fix anything, only to protect the boat bottom from things that could harm it. But I am not certain of the farther reaching differences between the vinyl used for liners and the pvc used for inflatables other than the basic knowledge that they are similar material.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Saturn inflatables are built with thicker Korean PVC fabrics compared to standard 0.9 mm ones found in most other brand inflatabels. Nasty things not to ever do are : boat at a safe distance from shores, reefs, exposed shallow rocks, don't exit a sand beach while powering the Sib out of the water and lower tubes will live forever..

Happy Boating

jrdamien

Cadet
Saturn inflatables are built with thicker Korean PVC fabrics compared to standard 0.9 mm ones found in most other brand inflatabels. Nasty things not to ever do are : boat at a safe distance from shores, reefs, exposed shallow rocks, don't exit a sand beach while powering the Sib out of the water and lower tubes will live forever..

Happy Boating

I should never boat a safe distance from shore?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Anyway if wanting some added protection under tubes buy a Rub Strake by the meter along 2 part PVC glue, check Iboats if available. Glue under middle tubes, the whole flat extension.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Rub Strake.JPG Views:	1 Size:	112.9 KB ID:	10738158
Happy Boating

Last edited by a moderator:

jrdamien

Cadet
Anyway if wanting some added protection under tubes buy a Rub Strake by the meter along 2 part PVC glue, check Iboats if available. Glue under middle tubes, the whole flat extension.

I did what I was asking advice about doing, but instead of using pool liner (which I could not find at a good price in the thickness I wanted) I used 1670 denier and pvc stair tread. Used HH-66 as adhesive.

Saturn inflatables are built with thicker Korean PVC fabrics compared to standard 0.9 mm ones found in most other brand inflatabels.

Per Saturn: "All SATURN inflatable products are made of 1,100 Dtex (0.9mm) New Generation PVC fabric with polyester support..."

Also per Saturn, their regular boats are Korean fabric and their "budget" line is Chinese fabric assembled in Korea. I went with the budget boat because of the length but, more specifically, the shape of the hull.

How it all holds up time will tell but this was an easy and fairly inexpensive way by which to add some strength to the bottom.

Attachments

• photo312448.jpg
    photo312448.jpg
    354.7 KB · Views: 1

w2much

Lieutenant
I like the idea and hope it works out well for you. Hope to find similar products for my hypalon RIB.