14 ft. Aluminum

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
I now have a Zodiac 340 solid. I'm purchasing a new 15 hp merc. If I get the chance to get a 14 ft aluminum boat. Will the 15 hp be ok for wifey and I. Will i have trouble getting on plane.
Thanks,
Bryan.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A larger heavier boat powered with same 15 HP-OB will need to be propped right if current prop will not do its homework right as with the lighter and shorter 340 Rib. Will inevitably need to go for a prop maximization, usually one less pitch from current one for OB to rev higher and get the combo out of the hole faster...

Happy Boating

Range Wharf

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for the responses, I may stick with the zodiac 340 solid just for this year to see how I handle the new 15 hp merc. At my age.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Thanks for the responses, I may stick with the zodiac 340 solid just for this year to see how I handle the new 15 hp merc. At my age.

Can go for a larger boat once the actual beast has been completely tamed. To plane the 340 faster, trim OB to sit perpendicular to water level, usually 2-3 holes out transom, sit a boater up front for correct deck weight distribution and full throttle. Once on plane reduce the throttle enough to maintain good plane if speeding scares you LOL!!

Used to own many moons back a 340 Rib powered with a Tohatsu 18 HP, being short and very light was really scary at full throttle, but once tamed was real fun..

340 Rib-1.JPG

Happy Boating