Motor size

Hermanator

Cadet
SeaRider,

wow thats a great idea, I am going to see if I can take the Center out of the trailer. I completely forgot about the bottom inflatable keel.

We we went with the biggest boat just for ease of fishing. Have room to move around and the dogs won’t get in the way.

I was was thinking about noise for trolling and did a bit of research into the Suzuki’s 40 four stroke. It seems light enough and it’s quite. I figure I’m gonna go for the lightest, bigger motor I can for the cheapest, so a better deal on a 30 I’ll go that route. I like the tohatsu TDLI but I think a little to noisy for trolling and the etec might have a bit of vibration from what I can research. So it might be the best deal I can get in a 4 stoke just not Yamaha.

Black Rat

Seaman Apprentice
Hermanater where are you finding two strokes in the United States (new)? I use a 25hp four stroke on 14' SIB and very quiet, about 10 mpg. Plenty of power with four people and some gear to get on plane. But if you load yours to max ever I'm thinking that 40 HP would be better. I did load a 12.5' SIB close to max weight once and a 25hp barely got it up on plane and kept it there WOT. Took about 30 seconds and I had to have guests lean forward to get on plane. Usually it's simply to rough to use much throttle where I go due to waves (Lake Superior) and getting beat up in a SIB is fun for about 30 seconds.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Black Rat,

If loading heavily a smaller lenght sib, rib to its max capacity as in your case will need to go for a prop maximization to a less pitcch prop in order for OB to rev at max wot rpm range and get that boat out of the hole faster. Al factory delivered props are medium pitched and will not allow to boat heavily loaded, unless all boaters happens to be extremely skinny ones...

To have in consideration : Will OP be transporting 10 passengers all the time, definitely not. Usually 2 up + dogs and eventually 4 up along dogs, fishing gear ?. So he doesn't need a heavier 40 HP for that particular load. which is halve of the total passengers that lenght carrier can handle. Any 30 HP with maximized prop will do the trick. We can discuss this option latter once it's known HP and brand OB.

Ouir local navy runs 470 Mil Zodiac with Yam 30 and with 6 up planes very well and those guys doesn't know a bit about prop maximizations LOL!!

A 30 HP if plan permanently to sit on transom while boat sits on top trailer is the best weight-HP option. When at the boat show weight by hand a 30 and a 40 HP, will know the answer right away of which one is best.

Happy Boating

Hermanator

Cadet
Black Rat and Sea Rider,

you both make great points, I’m excited to get to the show and start to compare brands and costs first had. I am heavily leaning towards the etec 30 or a light 40. Man I’m excited to start to work brands and dealers against each other... lol.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mission Impossible to get a 40 HP with same weight as a 30 one in the 4 strokes range. There's at least 15 to 20 kilo weight difference between both. Other point to consider : 30's are clamp transom versions while, 40's are usually bolt on transom versions. Sibs usually use clamp OB's, are much easier to sit on, remove from transom.

Anyway post the ones you liked at the boat show and their prices to have a look. A nice cheaper alternative to a 30 HP Etec is a 4 strokes Tohatsu 30 HP S version.

Happy Boating

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If you haven't chosen an engine yet, Did you check various engine Brand Specifications for weight vs Horsepower?

I know in the smaller engines, a 2.5hp Suzuki is 29 pounds whereas a 2.5 Tohatsu is about 42. Quite a range of difference.

I would look to getting the Lightest 4 stroke available in the Maximum HP. A higher HP should give performance at a lower RPM

I would also get opinions how the various choices operate at trolling speed. I think a 4 stroke should troll well, generally better than a 2 stroke in this HP Range. Just my thought, I may be misinformed about this.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If trolling for large amounts of time, say when fishing, a 4 strokes will be much better, doesn't have the spark plugs oiling issues at trolling speeds whereas a 2 strokes has. The HP range has nothing to do, it's the nature of each cycle beast.

Happy Boating