West Marine RU-260 SIB - Needs a few small things to bring it back...

BOAH

Petty Officer 1st Class
I bought this RU-260 at a garage sale for cheap. Couldn't pass it up! Only has a couple of small problems. LOL. The floor needs to be reinstalled or glued back on, the transom is rotted and needs to be replaced and I have one small hole that needs to be fixed. Other than that, it's good to go! I've never had an SIB and have been looking for videos on how to go about all of this. Are there any videos or threads where someone has detailed all of these repairs?

Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• photo299151.jpg
    photo299151.jpg
    799.4 KB · Views: 1
  • photo299152.jpg
    photo299152.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 2

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Those menthioned issues are definitely not small ones to repair. Although could re glue floor fabric back to lower tubes, will need to replace the whole transom if severely rotten and moistened. The issue is where to buy a spare one, seems will need to remove old one from both side holders and make a new one with same excact measurements with ply wood sheets at a wood carpentry. Good Luck.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
it will cost you almost as much to repair it as it would to buy a new one.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Been finding lately that reputable inflatable boat manufacturers are not waterproofing the lower part of the plywood transom which is porous and prone to retain water once rear floor's lower fabric becomes unglued.

One culprit is the water drain valve not doing its homework right or sitting too high, not removing adequately the water excess that sits high at rear deck when boat is in operation.

Inflatable boats that employs water drain valves that works with a middle diaphragm and lives moored are more prone to suffer transom roteness due to more water sitting way longer than a inflatable that's put out of water soon after its operation.

Lesson learned : Stay away from crappy wrecked inflatables no matter how cheap they are offered and if already with visible transom issues run from it.

Happy Boating