Advice needed: Saturn KaBoat SK470XL with a mudmotor kit (13hp Predator motor)

HOUSETACKLE

Cadet
Hey guys, I've been reading everything I can possibly find about these kaboats and I think this particular one is exactly what I want for my next boat project but I wanted some expert opinions before I invest in this thing.

-I'm trying to make a lightweight/portable boat that can get me and one friend 2 miles upstream at 10+ mph without the use of a boat ramp. A jetboat would be ideal, but it is expensive and heavy. A flatback canoe with a 5hp outboard is light, but I want to be able to go through small riffles. So then there are the longtail mudmotors...and I have no experience with them yet. Is there any reason why a 13hp mudmotor kit wouldn't work for this build? The river is pretty free of rebar/etc so I only have to worry about shallow water and rocks.

Here's my research so far:
-I found one single dude on the entire internet using a mudmotor on this boat and he made a really awesome video that has inspired me: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=8&v=HuXmTtw1GAU
-I found another great discussion on the Alaska outdoor forums where a guy put a jet on the back of one. It's my dream boat for this particular river, but expensive. I think some of you guys in this forum may have even commented on his build: http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/showthread.php/152641-Kaboat-with-jet-outboard

-I attached a picture what I'm planning on building. Do you think it would work? Any constructive criticism would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
-House
Mudmotor Project Ideas v1.jpg

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Mud motors works with anything that floats on water. As an idea would install a short shaft OB in the 10-15 HP range sitting high on transom, say at a proper height for prop not to aerate while water flow skims right over AV plate along using the OB at a non locked position for lower leg to raise itself if hitting a under water object, log or anything that floats and that's not that huge.

With an OB can play with more prop pitches to choose from for a much better water performance than compared with a mud motor spare props different pitch availability ?

If river is extremely dirty with debris an air cooled mud motor will be better for that particular task.

Happy Boating

HOUSETACKLE

Cadet
Thanks for the reply Rider! My buddy has an 9.9hp we will certainly test on this boat. I'll make sure to update this post with pics/videos. :)

Most of the rivers we have here in Southern Ohio are pretty free of debris with the exception of some rocks along the bank and in the shallow riffles we want to run. I was thinking the mudmotor could crawl through the shallow runs whereas we'd have to get out with the 9.9OB and walk it. Do you think the outboard prop could clear a foot of water through one of these runs? I've been looking into buying one of those rock guards for the prop just to be safe.

Thanks again for the feedback,

-House

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You're welcome,

If plan testing a conventional OB will be better to add a lower leg skeg metal protector for river use to protect lower leg portion and prop as well. If the lower leg will clear a foot of water, it's a matter to measure the available distance between upper AV plate and lower end portion. As you guys have already the OB try it before spending money on a new mud motor..

Happy Boating