Hauling a SIB set up with motor mounted on it's fold down wheels.

I am thinking of getting a toy hauler RV (Trailer with a garage) and it occurred to me that I could haul my 11' 340 air deck all set up with the fold down wheels and motor in place, so when I arrive at camp I can just wheel it out and not have any set up at all. The motor weighs 70 lbs and since the wheels and motor are mounted to the transom I figure it would be fine to haul it with the motor mounted. Thoughts?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Can do that but will need to inflate sib's tubes to their full pressure with a gauge to avoid transom stress when wheels and OB are mounted on transom while going on unpaved roads for long distances. Tight OB's clamps properly on transom for OB to reach its final destination.

Happy Boating

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
in addition to tying it down so it doesn't move around, you could put a couple straps on the motor going UP to something in the trailer to take some of the weight of the motor off the transom.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Always tow my combo with a high bunk trailer. OB rests well secured on transom while sitting fully vertical down with swivel bracket set on locked position. That way OB's skeg will have a large clearance with respect to road, highway and won't bounce a bit when under way or when traveling on unpaved roads.

Happy Boating

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I would agree that a way to support the transom is very important and along with that strapping it down. For support I would think a 2x4 or 2x4's with carpet on top would suffice. That's what came on my trailer from the factory,one small piece of wood with carpet supporting the middle of the transom which has work really well. Toy haulers have plenty of tie downs so the only issue is enough rings on the boat. One way to go is a stern strap that goes across the rear of the boat. Better yet would be adding a couple of D rings which is easy to do. Go to the NRS web site and get a couple of quality rings and some good adhesive and check out their instructional video's while there.

Good tips. I figure the wheels will be holding the weight of the outboard,and supporting the transom directly. I could remove the motor but then it would be just as "At risk" since hauling a motor on it's side in a trailer can be unpredictable. I will put a hook strap through each of the wheel kit mount bracket holes and tie the back down with that, and the front has a D ring on each side tube down low.