Converting to a RIB

high&dry

Seaman
I have an old Cancuro, it had a good bit of use for about five years and then I rolled it up. Once in a while I inflate it and then store it back. Always taken care of and not abused. I sold the Merc 25 two stroke years ago stupidly and now cannot find another 100 pound 25 horse anything anywhere.

So, thinking to convert it to a rigid. Cut the old bottom out leaving a 1 foot flap to use as a securing means to a wood or fiberglass hard hull. The stronger transom could carry the larger motor (it is rated to 50 horses!) and overweight motors of today and ride better on a trailer. I would increase the transom height to allow a 20 inch drive instead of the current 15 possibly allowing me to double duty the engine with a small aluminum "bass" type boat.

I have though on it off and on. The use would strictly be SCUBA diving as was it's use prior.

H&D

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Is a Cancuro a Zodiac type inflatable ? What's the lenght ? Can you post some nice pics showing deck, transom area, bow shape to have a look...

Happy Boating

high&dry

Seaman
No, it is not a Zodiac, it is a Novurania Canguro. It is 13 feet and has a wooden keel instead of an air keel and is Hypalon material, very heavy duty. I do not have any photos handy.

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Keep in mind the service life on the Hypalon material. That boat has to be over 20 years old.

high&dry

Seaman
Hypalon used to be advertised as forever. It was made to withstand UV. The seams may give at some point. The boat looks like new. It has been indoor stored. But, yes it is old.

This is the downside to the toy nature of these boats. A Boston Whaler 13 would still be as good as new if stored indoors. I think the Novurania still has life in it. And if I build a foam and glass hard hull that uses the tubes at least if the seams all pop I can sit on the foam bottom.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Hypalon will eventually deteriorate over time, use, abuse, sun exposure. Will outlast all other fabric materials together. If fabric is still flexible, not craked, pitted can use the tubes for years to come. Will need to remove the whole floor fabric, make a fiberglass boat matching exact same tube collar contour. Glue it well with 2 part Hypalon glue.

Happy Boating

high&dry

Seaman
I think y'all misunderstand. There is nothing wrong with my boat. Nothing. It is in perfect ship shape--NOW! There is nothing wrong with the bottom, the top or anything else on it or of it.

I just have a thought to convert it to a rigid and wondered if anybody else had converted a soft bottom boat to a hard bottom boat?

Has anyone ever converted a perfectly good soft bottom boat to a hard bottom or rigid boat?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
We do it sometimes, but prefer to sell complete factory built Ribs and avoid the long work and time involved in those kind of projects. Do you have any experience to build a wooden or fiberglass hull to do it yourself ?

You can build a simple hull layer Rib :

Single Layer Deck Rib.JPG

Or double layer hull/deck Rib.

Double Layer Rib.JPG

A hull is the made with molds previously manufactured, once done the tube collar is glued to it.

In you particular case if you are not skilled building hulls will need to build them at a wooden or fiberglass shop and that will surely be cost prohibitive.

Seems you have 3 choices :

-Stay with current immaculate Sib
-Buy a second hand Rib
-Buy a new Rib

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
This is a clear example that now a days Hypalon materials are not lasting that loooong compared to old ones manufactured by reputed brands such as Dupont.

LIP-4.JPG

This is a 5 year oldie AB Rib living 365 days a year on salt water and exposed to high UV radiation as much as 15 SPF. To make things much worse and lower costs down was assembled with just 0.8 mm Hypalon fabric. Seems its Waterloo Time is very near for total fabric degradation. Incredible that a costly Rib ends like this..

Happy Boating