Building over the edge of an inflatable boat

Lynx7386

Cadet
So I've seen plenty of project boats where carpeted plywood floors are put into inflatables like the mariner 4 / excursion 5 / seahawk 4 in order to provide a more stable standing platform as well as boat rigidity.

What I'm wondering is if that flooring could be built up and out to extend over / rest on the tubes themselves to allow for better seating - essentially adding a 'bench' on each side of the boat that could either be used to sit on or secure things like storage to (coolers / tackle boxes / etc). I would think the weight on this bench would be supported by it resting on top of the tube, while it would remain in place by being attached to the plywood floor of the boat.

Here's a crude image I painted up to get the idea across, what do you guys think? Possible or bad idea?

test.jpg

Attachments

• test.jpg
    test.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
In theory the idea will work, in practice will depend entirely on the Sib model, there are 2 categories.

(1) The ones with heat welded pressed side tubes that forms a protruding exterior lip. (2) the ones built with traditional side patch seams.

Bear in mind that both are built with un supported thin PVC material, that's plain fabric with no internal layers as seen on the more expensive Sibs which adds extra fabric rigidity to tubes. The comparison is 0.4-0.5 mm fabrics for the cheap ones to 0.9-1.0 mm supported fabrics for the traditional more expensive ones..

Go for the second Sib category, will achieve better tube rigidity that's needed for your project, but not that rigid if going for the same project on the more expensive traditional Sibs..

Seing your drawing closely, could add a large side to side tube bench supported by wooden floor if happen to be rigid and not rely on just side tubes,

Happy Boating

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I'm thinking a board across both tubes and some d rings to hold it down would be a simple way to add a bench seat.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
I'm thinking a board across both tubes and some d rings to hold it down would be a simple way to add a bench seat.

Yep, that's the overall idea, the board across both tubes must not to rest on them, needs a proper clearance as sib's tubes are quite thin and with unsupported fabric material for board along passenger weight to fully rest on them. Boater needs this type of seat to work nicely as expected. Can build a one piece removable & easy strap seat

Wooden Seat.JPG
If board fully rests on tubes, no matter if well strapped onto whatever you like will rock along boater worst than a marshmallow, now imagine that scenario while boating in other than non calm flat waters..

Happy Boating