Porta-Botes

Lynx7386

Cadet
Anyone have any experience with these things? How do they compare to inflatables for general use?

I contacted the site for pricing but havent received anything yet, seems like it's difficult to get information on them.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
SAFT, are easy to assemble expensive toys that rocks worse than a marshmellow when operated in open water. Just good for your pool, small ponds.. For what application you need one ?

SAFT : Stay Awaf From Them

Lynx7386

Cadet
Just for lakes near San Antonio, I found a 12' used portabote for a steal and am considering it as an alternative to an inflatable

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A long story short. A boater that bought a 13 footer wanted to test a portable 5 HP-OB which I own before buying one, and I wanted to buy a same size Porta-Bote and water testing it before biting the bullet and importing it from manufacturer. So we got together, went to a calm beach, assembled the boat, installed a 5 HP short shaft outboard right in middle transom trimmed to 90º for best prop thrust.

Portabote 2.JPG

At slow speeds the boat conducted itself right, when giving throttle middle deck floor began to flex and roll upwards as it's not a solid one. This issue will frighten non boaters going for first time on a boat. Things will worsen when full throttle is applied and boats cruises at choppy, windy water cond. Can't imagine seeing this thing behaviour at scary plane LOL!!

Portabote 3.JPG

How much is the asking price, you plan powering it with oars, an electric or fuel outboard with how many souls on board ? there are far better alternatives than going straight for a flimsy Porta-Bote. Must recognize that the folding idea is a cool one, but too limited for marine applications and fun.

Happy Boating

Attachments

• Portabote 1.JPG
    Portabote 1.JPG
    76.1 KB · Views: 0

Lynx7386

Cadet
Between an inflatable or a portaboat, both around the same price, which would be best? I can't do a hard body boat as I have nowhere to put it. it seems to me that with the risk of punctures on inflatables a porta boat would be safer and sturdier

Lynx7386

Cadet
A long story short. A boater that bought a 13 footer wanted to test a portable 5 HP-OB which I own before buying one, and I wanted to buy a same size Porta-Bote and water testing it before biting the bullet and importing it from manufacturer. So we got together, went to a calm beach, assembled the boat, installed a 5 HP short shaft outboard right in middle transom trimmed to 90º for best prop thrust.

At slow speeds the boat conducted itself right, when giving throttle middle deck floor began to flex and roll upwards as it's not a solid one. This issue will frighten non boaters going for first time on a boat. Things will worsen when full throttle is applied and boats cruises at choppy, windy water cond. Can't imagine seeing this thing behaviour at scary plane LOL!!

How much is the asking price, you plan powering it with oars, an electric or fuel outboard with how many souls on board ? there are far better alternatives than going straight for a flimsy Porta-Bote. Must recognize that the folding idea is a cool one, but too limited for marine applications and fun.

Happy Boating

I'm not looking for a speed boat. most times it will be two people (myself and my wife) and at times also our dog and young daughter.

The owner is selling it for 600, which is about the same price as a modified inflatable for me. obviously I'm going to give it an extensive look over to ensure its in good condition, but he claims he's selling it because he uses a different boat now and doesn't use this one much.

As for the motor, not sure yet what I'll get but honestly around here I would be fine with an electric trolling motor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
It all gets down to which type of boating you like doing, if its for fishing, slow cruising calm lakes, rivers, large ponds a Porta-Bote will work. There's no other better boat choice to go after for that price, except flimsy unsuported fabric inflatables such as Mariners, Sevylors, etc.

I'll bet previous owner got bored of it and went for a more pro inflatable boat LOL! Anyway if going for it post your experience about ease of assembly, water performance, stability, if experienced the roll feeling effect under middle deck while cruising at power, etc.

Happy Boating

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Yes have used one several times.
Both my uncle, and a family friend have them and we have been out in them 5 or 6 times.

Several times with 3 adults, fishing in Canada. They worked well, but they are a "go slow" boat.
A 4 hp is good, we never went above 1/3 throttle,

The only scary time was when we had to go into some waves, bow is very low, wave could swamp boat if caught off guard.

Family friend used an amphibious vehicle on the overgrown and abandoned logging roads in Canada, and simply dragged the portaboat behind him on the gravel.
Crude but effective. Boat looked real bad, all beat up from the gravel and logs, BUT... it it held together and did not fail us. He beat that thing on the road for several weeks a year, for 6 years.

I would not bother with a small one.
The 12' 6", or the 14' model would be ok.