HP recomendations for Saturn 11'

Brian1e

Recruit
I am trying to decide how much engine I would need to suit my purposes. I have a Saturn 11' inflatable that will be used a tender. The transom plate states 15HP max. I am thinking 4-6 HP should be sufficient. We do get some winds and currents. Weight is a concern also. Is the extra weight and cost of a 4 stroke really worth it? I am currently considering a 2 stroke Tohatsu. Thoughts, opinions?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I would jump up to a twin cylinder (runs smoother). no need to go more than 10hp.

stick with a 2-stroke. overall less weight and less problems

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A 2 strokes Tohatsu 9.8 HP is ideal. Weights same as their restricted 6-8 HP brothers...you can always go for a prop maximization to pull wot revs up higher if needed for any OB to work around middle to max wot rpm range factory stated.

Happy Boating

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Agree with the 2 stroke. Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke. Keep saying it...best small engine ever made. Weighs the same as a new 4stroke 4hp yamaha.

I have an 11' Mercury air deck with a 15HP Mercury 2 stroke. It's more than I need. I was in Fort Myers going over to Sanibel and was with another similar boat with a 4 stroke 9.9 Suzuki maybe and it was only a few MPH slower, but used a lot less fuel. A third boat we went bar hopping with had a 6hp four and it was a bit slower than I would like getting across open water, but still got em there. I think that 9.9 Suzuki was the best way to go if money is not the issue and the motor is going to stay on the boat for days on end. My 15hp is lighter at 70lbs and was $900 used and it could hit 19mph on flat water. (That's kinda fast for a 170lb boat / motor combo IMHO) But, for a tender I think your plan seems logical.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Well that's the issue boating and comparing 2 and 4 strokes OB's. Each one has its pros and cons....

Happy Boating