Chinese Motor For Mariner 3?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
For peace of mind and credit card buy any new or used 2 strokes OB in the USA that will honor a warranty. Don't forget all about the Chinese proverb that states "you get what you paid for"...

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
buying bad Chinese manufactured knock-off stuff with zero parts and service support is not wise. as Sea Rider stated, buy in the US.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Many of these engines are air cooled. They are quite noisy and run hot. If you are on a budget, I recommend you find a good 2 stroke (if legal on your waters) Evinrude or Johnson. Probably a 2 HP will be about it. As long as you get one that runs these motors usually have years left in them, there are plenty of them around. Mine is 40 years old and has 120 lbs of compression, runs like a top.

The 4 stroke water cooled 2.5 HP units from the Japanese makers are all good engines, but the Suzuki has advantage of only weighing 29 pounds. They will set you back a lot of money new and quite a bit more used, than will a 2 stroke. These are single cylinder, well balanced engines that are very economical to run.

Last edited:

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks guys! I will start looking for used Johnson, Merc, or Japanese 2 strokes.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Well, I am not finding much in used 2 strokes, so I am now looking at electric trolling motors. Can anyone recommend something that would work well with my mariner 3?

Thanks

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Fuel is much better than electric power if plan boating long distances. A large battery is quite heavy on an inflatable deck. Does Mariner has a built transom at back or uses a removable wooden support plate attached ? Both holding methods will perform much different being the transom built the best..

If happens to be a transom built model check 2 or 4 strokesTohatsu 2.5-3.5 OB's. Both models weights same, being the 2 strokes versions much lighter.

Happy Boating

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Looks like this. Supposed to be OK with up to 2.5 hp.

Attachments

• photo286525.jpg
    photo286525.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 0

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Be aware that such inflatable being built with a thin unsupported fabric and pumped with much less air pressure will flex at engine mount when power is aplied and lose best prop thrust. In that case trim engine bit upwards so when at power mount will flex downwards for engine to work at 90 deg and push inflatable more efficiently.

Happy Boating

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
You should be able to find a used 3.5hp Merc/Tohatsu 4-stroke for $400-$600...
They are easy to work on and are great on fuel..

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The only thing with the Mercury/Tohatsu is that the current 4 stroke models weigh in at 43 pounds. The motor bracket for the Mariner 4 Inflateable recommends 40 pounds maximum and 3.5 HP.

The Yamaha 2.5 weighs 37 pounds, the Suzuki 2.5 is 29.

That is why I initially suggested the 2 stroke OMC second hand 2 Horsepower.

SDSeville

Lieutenant
OK, I am not finding any used 2 strokes around here, so I will be buying a Minn Kota Riptide 40 from CL. What battery should I get? I will be just tooling around the harbor.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Get the lightest one with the most power, if heavy when powering sib will rock while sitting on non rigid inflatable floor..

Happy Boating

SDSeville

Lieutenant
Thanks. What is the minimum power I will want? I have seen from 18AH to over 100AH.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check which is the battery manufacturer recommends for that particular electric motor model. Can't help further, I'm still running on Jurassic fuel..

Happy Boating

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You need to get a Deep Cycle Marine Battery. They are designed to be run and then recharged multiple times. Also, a good quality Charger that has a Smart Charging feature is also a good idea. Neither of these items is cheap.