LongTail or 'Swamp Runner' - on QuickSilver Inflatable?

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Has anyone ever put, or tried to put, a tiller controlled longtail motor on their inflatable? I have a Mercury QuickSilver 300 Sport Model and I want to put on a small 7hp engine that will allow me to bravely go where no boat has gone before! If no one has ever tried it I'll get back to you guys in the Spring after I get it in the water!

My boat: Pictured

LongTail: Pictured

Any thoughts or reservations? Top speed would only be about 12-15mph.

Attachments

• photo279663.jpg
    photo279663.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo279664.jpg
    photo279664.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 0

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
I don't think I would want an inflatable hull to bravely go where no boat has gone before unless access is limited to you launching by your self since its a two man rated like tents ,gun safes , Haha . Tried all that before now running a fan boat that's big so make it Fan drive ..I can run with 4 people in 6- 8 inch water on plane over ripples but round river biscuits leave scratches in the fiberglass .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
You can install whatever you want to power that Sib with as long has a swivel bracket that can be adjusted/bolted on middle transom, same as with an OB. For the adventure of entering unknown water territory will need to reinforce lower tubes with thick PVC fabric or will rip them very fast...

BTW, no advantage going for a long shaft OB, keep that short shaft and run it unlocked, so will pivot if OB hits a hidden underwater object.

Happy Boating

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
im picturing a shredded boat with a guy stuck in the mud with a running mud-motor circling him like a hungry shark.....

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
I have tried 30 years ago with a ryan weed whacker motor and a electric trolling motor prop , what a hoot . soon learned hard to start so we put on Craftsman with clutch on 4man mill surplus raft at Ohio Power Lakes . Kids loved it on river .I got tired of patching holes and the kids used tanks of my premix gas and then they found some that wasn't ,they seized motor then I was done . Now I use a Air boat to access water that only canoes n kayakers go with out any fanfare haha.I only see a few outboard pumps and a jet ski now n then .

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have tried 30 years ago with a ryan weed whacker motor and a electric trolling motor prop , what a hoot.

So how fast do you think you got the raft to go? MPH?
Also, explain the clutch idea? The principle behind using a clutch is for what??? Was it in case you hit something it wouldn't rip the motor off? Let me know.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your not going to go very fast.

the clutch is so you can start it without the prop spinning until you give it some throttle. makes it easier to start (so you dont have to yank and fall over backwards in the mud, then have a running mud motor circling you like a shark)

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
the clutch is so you can start it without the prop spinning until you give it some throttle. makes it easier to start (so you dont have to yank and fall over backwards in the mud, then have a running mud motor circling you like a shark)

Makes sense! Being in close proximity with the prop is a bad idea!

jimbo_jwc

Ship Happens
your not going to go very fast.

Like he said was easier than tipping motor to bottom or prop out of water to start ,kids loved working on and improving . It didn't bring the raft up on plane haha .but kids covered a lot of river with and the strip mine ponds and high wall waters . The liked better than the electric trolling motor .