Gas motor for Intex Mariner 4

PGMariner

Recruit
Hi all! Boating newbie here. I need recommendations for a gas-powered (outboard) motor for my Mariner 4. Thanks!

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is a 40 pound weight limit for the motor mount, so a new motor would restrict you to a 2.5 horsepower. The Suzuki is the lightest at 29 pounds. Honda and Yamaha are a few pounds heavier. A Tohatsu 2.5 is 43 pounds, a bit too heavy. The 3.5 Tohatsu weighs the same as the 2.5. All these motors are 4 stroke engines. If you wanted to risk the 43 pound weight and didn't,t mind paying more, the 3.5 would make more sense in the Tohatsu, since it weighs the same as the 2.5. I believe you could reinforce the motor mount with plywood between the aluminum tubes.

I power mine with a 1978 2 hp Johnson motor which works well for my purposes. It is a 2 stroke engine, that weighs about 25 pounds.

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Check 2 strokes 3.5 HP Tohatsu if available, much lighter than their 4 strokes same brother. Won't gain much reforcing an engine mount, bear in mind that an OB will flex at power the rear portion of the sib due to not having a built in transom along fabric being too thin, add poor inflation and will have a very bad sib rigidity with bad water performance.

Happy Boating

Last edited:

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
That's why like the 2 stroke that I use. if I went to a 4 stroke, it would likely be the Suzuki.

Probably the best engine would be a 2 stroke Yamaha around 2 or 3 HP. They are probably better for vibration at slow speed than the Johnson and run at 100 to 1 fuel mixture.

Here in Nova Scotia there are few options for second hand 2 strokes. The 2 Johnson/Evinrude are fairly common, but the Japanese motors were not well established here before they went to 4 stroke. There are some Mighty Mites and air cooled Tanaka types. Most people if they have a small Nissan or Suzuki 2 stroke tend to hold on to them.

The 4 stroke, 2.5 Tohatsu is over the limit for the motor mount. I was just saying that if you wanted to stretch that limit by 3 pounds, it would make sense to go to the 3.5, which is in the same engine weight. It would also be more versatile than the 2.5 for use on other boats.

Last edited:

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Have you ever explored the option of a 'Mud-Skipper' motor, or a small 'Surface-Drive' type motor? I am weighing out the options for putting one on my QuickSilver inflatable that has a 15 HP limit. There are MANY options. Check it out!

comstox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Is there one that weighs 40 lbs or less and is 3.5 hp or less?
Oh yes. You should rerearch them.

After my post I thought that the only drawback may be if an occupant fell out of the boat and fell into the prop. THAT would be yuckie!
What we call a "Surface Drive" would probably be more suitable but more money. Check those out too.

Bonaventure

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You should be able to wire up a lanyard kill switch on one of these. At least there is a bit of distance between boat and prop that if someone fell in (with a kill switch), the motor should be stopped by the time the person drifted back to where the prop is.