Gluing PVC vs Hypalon

km1125

Chief Petty Officer
I have a mid-90's Quicksilver RIB. I was told by several folks that it is PVC, so when I did repairs on it I used PVC glue (HH-66). Everything works great now and no leaks.

However, I ran across some marketing material for Quicksilver from the 90's. They show what appears to be my boat, but it's a couple years off from manufacturer date. In this, they list most of the boats as Hypalon, with some of their smaller boats as PVC. So now I'm wondering if I actually have a Hypalon boat and what I should expect from the joints I glued up with PVC.

The boat is a pearl color though. From some stuff I've read, Hypalon was only available in certain colors but PVC could be made in just about any color. Would this be a better indicator of the material? Cleaning the repaired spots with Acetone yeilded very similar results to my other PVC boat... gets sticky then dries. I've never worked with Hypalon (that I know of), so I don't know if it reacts differently.

Whether mine is PVC or Hypalon, I'm wondering what would happen if you used HH-66 or any other PVC glue on Hypalon. Would it work? Would it last?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
If fabric has 2 sided colors and is very smooth to finger rub, it's Hypalon for sure. PVC will hold till becomes unglued again....

Happy Boating

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
A clear example about don't use PVC glue when gluing Hypalon tubes on a Rib hull. Owner was cheated by shade tree inflatable techie, told him that used Hypalon glue when installed new tube collar one year ago...

DSCF7173.JPG

DSCF7174.JPG

Now will have to spend minimum $ 500 re gluing with proper 2 part glue and skilled techie...

Happy Boating

Last edited:
Hello
I'm preparing for a restoration of my PVC Zodiac 2001 with the same product you used, the HH-66. I'm curious to know when you used it? I was looking to get more information about it and I concluded that it is an excellent product, but unfortunately less known. Forum members need to know that it is a single-component glue, but that does not mean it's the same as those used for temporary repairs! I would say it may not have an experience in rebounding the hypalon, but that does not mean you may not be lucky!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Will have my doubts this product will hold exactly same as 2 part pvc or hypalon glues. According to tech specs it's a vinyl glue to glue vinyl on top of vinyl, that I know pvc and hypalon fabrics are not considered vinyl fabrics. When mixing 2 part glues, there's a chemical reaction going on between fabrics while they are welded.

Personally wouldn't risk losing an outboard or having deflated tubes issues if in need to re glue a complete transom or tubes seams using this product, glued parts longevity is what counts if doing year round boating compared to occasionally boating, why do you think all inflatable manufactures that hand welds use 2 parts glue ?

Happy Boating

Hello Sea Rider ! Which two-component PVC adhesive do you think has the highest quality-price ratio? What would you recommend, considering the cumulative experience with one or another ?
I think that the subject here has been answered, but I would like to confirm that the two-component PVC adhesive can also be used to bond the other components of the boat - wood, rubber, etc.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
We only use French Zodiac, Gernan Tip Top high quality PVC or Hypalon 2 parts glue which are expensive compared to PRCH same non lasting glues. Long Live the glued parts and not risking your life at sea is what counts, useless going for cheaper glues that not holds glued parts that long. Check if Iboats sells these glues ? Other alternative check at West Marine, Defender for them in same brands or in own brands. They also sell MEK a cleaning material to clean glue leftovers on fabric, it's applied before re gluing old parts or gluing new ones.

With these glues can bond PVC, Hypalon fabrics to wooden, fiberglass transoms, lateral bumpers, handles, patches, O'rings with patches, seams and whatever needs to be glued onto tubes.

Happy Boating

At the risk of being a stupid question, I still wonder: why not use PVC to PVC heat bonding, made with special equipment, instead of gluing?
Obviously, I am referring to the repair process, not the manufacturing process, after preparing the welding surfaces as it should .

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
PVC heat bonding or thermo welding is a process in which a glue tape is placed between fabrics, when perfectly aligned, fabric is rolled over a heated roll for seams to be instantly sealed, don't know if this process can be applied for gluing other small or larger inflatable components other than gluing tube's seams.

Happy Boating

TOHATSU GURU

Admiral
Both heat welding and electronic welding requires specialized equipment and a skill set to use it correctly. I have never seen a single part glue that holds as well as a two part adhesive. I have used Shore one part Hypalon adhesive in the past and it did hold fairly well...But I was never warm and fuzzy about it:) I have never seen a one part PVC adhesive that would make a lasting repair. However, even two part PVC glues, correctly applied, have a short life compared to the results of Hypalon/glue. We sell and use three different brands of PVC here. Stabond, Weaver and Zodiac. My favorite is the Stabond.