Trailer Question for My 14 foot inflatable

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found a galvanized 10 ft trailer here locally on Craigslist. It has new tires, spare tire, new winch. Asking $225. I need to register it after I get it.

My inflatable boat is 14 feet long. and about 5.5 feet wide. The trailer is 10 feet long and about 4 feet wide. Here are my questions:

1) Would my 14 feet trailer fit on this 10 ft long trailer? I am assuming that about 4 ft of the boat will hang in the back and if I keep the motor attached to the transom while transporting it may not be good for the transom and the boat. Any suggestions?
2) The fenders are raised on the trailer. Does that mean I would have to modify the fender to put the boat on the trailer? If so what is the easiest way to do this.
3) How difficult is it to register a trailer? Is it simple as registering the boat or is it more of a PITA?

Thanks for the answers.

Trailer Picture 3.jpg Trailer Picture 2.jpg

Last edited:

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
1-Won't fit, Sib is too large.
2-Need a trailer with side bunks, Sib's width for lower tubes to rest nicely on bunks.

Sib Trailer 1.JPG

3-OB must rest with lower transom supported on top of a wooden, metal bar installed parallel to lower transom as in pic. Ideal for long distance hauling and minimum transom stress while OB sits on top.

Sib Trailer 2.JPG

Happy Boating

Last edited:

boatlova'

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1-Won't fit, Sib is too large.
2-Need a trailer with side bunks with same width as Sib for tubes to rest nicely on bunks.

3-OB must rest with lower transom supported on top of a wooden, metal bar installed parallel to lower transom as in pic. Ideal for long distance towing and minimum transom stress while OB sits on top.

Happy Boating

Ok thanks. I will pass on it then.

Where did you buy your trailer? Looks very nice.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Yes, bad investment indeed....Trailer was locally fabricated at our workshop. You could fabricate same one bit larger and wider. The pic corresponds to a 12 footer sib trailer, was built to transport sib with attached OB and inflated lower keel.

Happy Boating

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Sea Rider how do you prevent rope/line burns when tying them down. Wind will want to lift boat up while in transit I would assume and loose lines would cause friction rub?

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
To strap Sibs onto trailers, strap one belt tied from front D handle ring or 2 belts attached to both smaller Drings sides to front trailer ear, 2 inverted belts holds rear tubes passing transom to trailer. if hauling long distances say 100-150 miles on highways use 2 extra belts strapped between front and rear belts.

As you can see closely, my tubes's bunk does not ends even to transom, they extend way more, that's were the extra belts are strapped to. My trailer has welded U shape ears to attach all sort of ropes, belts to it.

To avoid fabric degradation due to belt rubbing issues can place any soft material betweeen tubes and belt. Once all bets are correctly tight strapped onto trailer, won't move a bit on buks.

Incredible as it may seem, Sib won't be lifted by air as inflated lower keel will tend to cut air nicely, like riding in a wind tunnel. Usually when at highway can go as fast as 120 Km/H with no lifting issue whatsoever. If Sib will be strapped inverted, wind at speed will get inside hollow deck and inevitably will tend to parachute lift Sib badly, definitely no bueno. LOL!!

Happy Boating

Last edited:

alanfox55

Chief Petty Officer
I was faced with the same problem is you a 14 foot boat and to small a trailer. I had bought a nice easy loader trailer but I determined it was just too small it was going to need a lot of fabrication to work so I went on a search for a made for inflatable boat trailer. The only one I found was a trailx aluminum inflatable boat trailer. It was not cheap but it was a very nice trailer perfect for my needs so I want to head and bought it. I figured with the cost of a used trailer and fabrication it would not be that much of a difference in price. I also thought about how much money I had in my boat and motor and everything else so Why then put my expensive boat on a cheap maybe not going to work trailer. Because it's aluminum is very lightweight. The trailer has two bunks on each side that cradle each tube. It also has a transom support. Definitely I would not want to transport my boat without transom support. Here's some pictures. Opps sorry no pictures my hard drive for my computer died. I'll try and download some pictures from my cloud service and post.

Last edited: