Small canopy for swivel seats

PondPickle

Cadet
Having a narrow "comfort zone" we're considering something to shade us while out in our Seahawk 4. Most bimini tops have a lot of support rods and tethers which look like they'd interfere with casting. and they're large but also often kinda low and can act as a sail when it's windy. And only a few designs can shade the sides or rear as well as the top.

So I sketched up this little shade top to attach directly to our swivel seats. I'm thinking the top portion should be adjustable and maybe even flip over against the back to maybe allow overhead casting. When you swivel, it turns with you and I suppose it could even be made to swivel independently of the chair.

Easily removed, folded up and stashed away. Being small, pvc piping should suffice or electrical conduit could be bent or hinged. Maybe an old folding lawn chair could be robbed of it's tubing and pivot joints. Or rob parts off a folding table, which has locking support arms already to go. Heck I could even see adding side curtains, arm rests, fringe on top and a wind chime, even! LOL, OK, maybe the chimes are a step tooo far.

Shouldn't take much material to mock one up and see how it works. I kinda wonder if there isn't already such a shade made to attach to a folding chair (wind chimes available at additional cost).
-Ed

Attachments

• photo273471.jpg
    photo273471.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
could always just buy a few of these
$_58.JPG

PondPickle

Cadet
Too funny! Here, hold my beer and watch my Mary Poppins imitation! Looks good to harvest the ol' rice paddy.

Yeah, now I'm thinking an old folding chair already has the arm rests and back. Just need to attach the bottom to the top instead. Bingo, instant folding canopy.

Catch you later, gotta fly off to the shed to scrounge up some parts.
flyingnun.jpg
marypoppins.jpg

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I was being serious. for $6 you can pick up an umbrella hat. they work great for sun and light drizzle

PondPickle

Cadet
Thanks Scott and ondarvr. I'm not sure about the hat version working for us, but I do see I'm reinventing the wheel a bit on the chair version of it.
-Ed