SIB Engine Choice

Lrusso4211

Cadet
Just purchased an SD470 (http://www.saturnboats.com/inflatable-boats/15-saturn-boat/15-saturn-boat-en.html) and am looking for input on engine choice.

I don't anticipate having more than four people in the boat ever and most of the time I think it'll be just me.

I'm leaning toward an ETEC 30 HP, but also considering a Suzuki 25HP because it is a little lighter (and cheaper). How much of a performance difference would you expect between the two motors?

Additionally, what kind of speed do you think I could expect with various loads?

Thanks in advance!

Pack Rat

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If it were me I would go with 30 HP since the specs I read called for 40 HP max. I have a 12.5' SIB with a 25 HP and have loaded it to max with 4 people and gear, took a long time wide open to get it up on plane with everyone leaning forwards but...sounds like you could get by with 25 HP and indeed the diff in price would pay for that boat!!

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Go for a Suzy 30 HP + 5 HP will make the difference. Seems there isn't a S shaft 30 HP, specs states just L models, Both are same 480 CC and about near same weight.

The issue with weight is that's much different boating alone with gear and with 4 up and gear, on those cases a prop maximization for OB to rev at least at middle wot rpm would be ideal way to go, but will need an induction tach for that enterprise. A Suzy 30 HP should cost much less than a 30 Etec ?

Happy Boating