Correct procedure for launching inflatables at boat ramp?

KnightAngler

Recruit
Hey guys,

I'm a boat newbie and recently purchased an inflatable raft, the Mariner 4, and plan to get a trolling motor for it soon. My question here is launch procedure as I want to try my best not to look like an idiot on my first trip out.

What are the appropriate steps to launch from both a dock and a gravel/cement boat ramp?

I know one should have all their gear ready to go into the boat, as to avoid taking up space for a long time. I assume that we inflate the boat in the parking lot, attach the motor (but not battery), and then carry it to the dock. At which point, we drop the nose into the water first and then the back end (motor side). From there, one person gets in the boat while the other hands him gear. But how about on the return; is taking the boat out of the water with the motor attached going to be an issue?

The boat ramp also seems a bit tricky since we have to be careful not to drag the boat too much on a hardy rocky surface. In this case, do you basically just have to carry the boat all the way out into the water and get in from there? Obviously in this case, there is no way to prevent getting some water into the boat.

Any directions/tips would be greatly appreciated.

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to Iboats,

You want to look as a launching Pro at the boat ramp LOL!! Is there other facility say a beach next to boat ramp ? Moons back when launching fron beach would carry the boat alone with 2, once floating parallel to beach would add all my stuff inside. With second boater grabbing the Sib sideways as not to move would sit engine on transom.

Happy Boating

KnightAngler

Recruit
Welcome to Iboats,

You want to look as a launching Pro at the boat ramp LOL!! Is there other facility say a beach next to boat ramp ? Moons back when launching fron beach would carry the boat alone with 2, once floating parallel to beach would add all my stuff inside. With second boater grabbing the Sib sideways as not to move would sit engine on transom.

Happy Boating

Haha, its less about looking like a pro and more so, worried about damaging my boat by handling it incorrectly.

Brusac

Seaman
More than anything it depends on how busy the ramp is. I also have the Intex M4, complete with custom floor mod and it usually takes me a good 20-30 minutes to set up at the launch site since I am installing the floor, fishing seat, trolling motor and inflating. Not to mention all the fishing gear. And since I am always going out solo I drop my stuff along the side of the ramp, park and then setup. A lot of places I go will have some out of the way kayak/canoe launches and I always try to go to those. People seem to be more relaxed, friendly and curios about my setup so never had problems there. Other wise I can usually find a smaller launch away from the main put-ins that are not so busy.

jogirob

Cadet
So far I've taken the boat down the ramp twice by myself but I believe I've got it down pretty well. I've got a 10' Achillies with an inflatable floor and 72 LB 15HP 2 stroke motor.

With my pickup truck I back up with the boat fully inflated resting on the top sides of the truck bed and all accessories off the boat and inside the truck bed (to make heaving the boat unto the water easier).
At the water line I heave the inflatable into the water and tie it up alongside the dock, boat facing the ramp so that the transom side has plenty of room to keep the engine and prop from dragging.
After tying up I toss all the accessories into the boat. I don't bother installing or arranging anything.
Then I grab the motor and wade into the water and install it unto the transom and connect the fuel line. I like to start up the engine and leave it idling while I park the truck. This way it warms up or if it doesn't start up at all you can just load everything back up right away.
After parking the truck I hussle back to the boat I hop on and push off. I made the mistake of reversing before pushing off and I dinged the prop on the concrete ramp, my poor beautiful '86 Johnson :(
When I'm underway and clear of the boat ramp I install the oars, bench seat, and start arranging all my junk.

On the way back I disassemble everything and ready all my junk before approaching the boat ramp.
Once there I tie down and carry what I can comfortably carry with me towards the truck and drive it down the ramp, I throw the rest of the junk in the truck bed, remove the engine and put it in the truck bed and finally I heave the inflatable unto the top of the truck bed and roll out.