scuba divers

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I've been diving for 2 years on the st latency and one thing I must stress is safety for divers if you see a diver down flag keep away.

Also divers when diving make yourself as visible as possible because you just look like a black dot on the surface

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Not me, when I used to dive, I also wore a neon green shorty wetsuit and had a strobe light attached to my BC, we used to put purple lenses in our strobes because they were easier to see.

But I agree when you see a diver down flag, stay away! I had a prop hit my air tank when I lived in Hawaii, it was not a fun experience!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I know this is off topic Mt but I've followed a lot of your posts and you seem to have lived and are living a very colourful life if end up living half the experiences you have I will feel like I lived a full and happy life

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I know this is off topic Mt but I've followed a lot of your posts and you seem to have lived and are living a very colourful life if end up living half the experiences you have I will feel like I lived a full and happy life

littlerayray,

I am a blessed man and I enjoy life as much as possible, after I was wounded and brought back from dead in 1991, I figure it was all out fun from there on, I was a very serious guy before going to combat, now I just live one day at a time, but I live each day to the fullest, my wife just looks at me like I am nuts most of the time LOL. I figure, I have nothing to loose now, but believe me, I do pay a price, the body just does not respond the right way at times! But be damned, I am going to go out on my terms! I did a number of jumps for my job when I was in the Army, now I want to do some recreational jumps to see what it like to do it without someone shooting at me!. Life is fun and have fun living it!

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I see where your coming from I like to live life to the fullest and do interesting things it's just to bad the pocketbook and work seem to get in the way lol

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
I see where your coming from I like to live life to the fullest and do interesting things it's just to bad the pocketbook and work seem to get in the way lol

Fortunately, I have a very good retirement from the Army, that allows me quite a bit of flexibility when I choose to do something.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
When you get to the point, enjoy every minute of that retirement that you worked so hard for!

:D

dwco5051

Commander
I find that on the inland water that I used to patrol that most people have no idea what the diver down flag means. We never had much diving but the few instances I remember the boat tending the diver would fly the red and white flag rather than the alpha pennant. I do remember the local dive team doing a recovery of a outboard motor that sank in the middle of the lake flying the down flag plus two more on floats where their divers were searching. Since they were on a busy part of the lake on a weekend when I came upon them I stayed about a hundred feet away and turned on the blue strobes to divert traffic away from where they were working. Sure enough some yahoo came motoring over to me and asked what the flags were all about. Since he didn't cross the area the divers were working I didn't have a violation but I gave him a little on the water education lesson.

dwco5051

Commander
A side note to my last post;

The person who lost the motor was the retired supervisor of law enforcement for the game commission. As soon as the boat hit the submerged log that knocked his motor off and came to a stop he looked at the landscape and by some landmarks he formed two lines of position to get a fix on the spot. The motor was found about 30 feet away from where he told them to start searching.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
I've recovered a boat motor once and you would be surprised at how willing local divers are to help you find things we go out and willingly try to recover things not only for the experience but also to minimize the environmental impact the articles lost have