Full Power with Seats Next to Engine

Status
Not open for further replies.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
What are the thoughts on how dangerous that is? I know the gas fumes thing is a big deal, but what about stressing an engine with people sitting effectively right next to an assembly of metal parts turning at 4,000RPMs+?

I do it for short stretches, but I'm not too happy about that arrangement. Do they even still make boats with seats either side of the power plant, or is that a thing of the past? Mine's got ashtrays on top of the engine cover too, lol; which I've also seen in older light aircraft, btw (and smelled raw fuel in flight before - not a comfortable place to be).

Just wondering if anyone else thinks this situation is less than ideal, and actively avoids it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Click image for larger version  Name:	 Views:	1 Size:	448.9 KB ID:	10893850

I've thought the same, I prefer the way my boat is set up with the storage areas on each side of the engine and the big sun pad and the bench seat in front of that, it works better in a boat 20' or longer, perhaps you could redo the engine hatch with steel panels inside, sounds like overkill but a bigger risk is not the engine blowing and scattering parts but fuel vapors. I think any inboard gas engine should have a gas vapor fume detector, I put one in about 7 years ago, its an easy install and simple to wire up.

Attachments

• Bimini Top.JPG
    Bimini Top.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 3

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
How often do the parts leave the block ?

a few hundred thousand boats built that way, or with seat on top of, or in front of, or behind the engine

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The term blow up meaning terminal engine failure isn't an explosion. Not deadly unless it's funny car.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I would be more worried about a lightening strike.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah probably more applicable to a racing motor that's really being pushed for horsepower, not a <200hp stock setup.

I've got room to do a bench like that. That'd add at least one extra seat too...

racerone

Supreme Mariner
People will walk / climb into an airliner with 2 engines and go up to 33,000 feet and across an ocean.------That used to demand 4 engines.------No I do not do that and If I did it would be a 747 I think.------Sitting beside an engine at 4000 revs is not a risk in my opinion.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
4000 RPM is kind of low for WOT

I have sat on top of 750hp diesels screaming at 3000 RPM as well as sat in a bilge working on twin BBCs screaming at 5300 RPMs, and been in the engine room on a 9000 hp yacht doing 65 knots.

You are worried about nothing

Sitting next to a stock boat motor in a jump seat has only been done by about 40 million boats.....and still continues today

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yeah, come to think of it, I rode bikes for 20 years before I got the boat, and you're fairly straddling the motor and as close to the gas tank as you can get. And flogging them for all they're worth sometimes, just not at a continuous high rpm. You get used to it and never think about it.

I guess it's different when it's your kids back there, and not you.

Yeah, my 4k-ish is low; I've never seen above 4,300 or so. The prop is a bit flawed, and I doubt it's tuned 100% correctly.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
zero concern...

Next time you fly and you are sitting right in front of the wing, take a look out the window. That jet engine is equipped with a bunch of titanium knives spinning up to 25,000 rpm. (and yes, they can and have departed engines before) Kind of makes a little v8 small block insignificant by comparison.

PITBoat

Petty Officer 1st Class
zero concern...

Next time you fly and you are sitting right in front of the wing, take a look out the window. That jet engine is equipped with a bunch of titanium knives spinning up to 25,000 rpm. (and yes, they can and have departed engines before) Kind of makes a little v8 small block insignificant by comparison.

That may be one of the things that got me thinking about it. Yeah, that's happened a number of times. The SWA flight is the most recent I can think of, where lady got partially sucked out of the window after the fuselage was breached. The DC-10 at Sioux City, IA in 1989(?) where lines from all 3 hydraulic systems got severed in the back is probably the most well known one.

That and the old "throwing a rod" phrase, and cars blowing up and leaving parts on the dragstrip and so forth.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
That and the old "throwing a rod" phrase, and cars blowing up and leaving parts on the dragstrip and so forth.

those cars are not stock, stock vehicles dont make enough power to blow up.

that is also why if you run certain classes, scatter shields and trans blankets are required. nothing would ruin your day more than a flywheel coming loose at 9000 RPM during a missed shift.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I had a 69' Ford Econoline van. The engine sat directly between you and your passenger with an inch of insulation and some plastic between you and the engine that was ready to explode once you put all 125 HP into service. I do know on long hauls such as from Toronto to Daytona Beach I got more than my share of head aches which are a sign of carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.Portable Gas Vapor Fume Detectors (CO detector) were yet to be invented. I wouldn't worry about CO poisoning either as you are in open fresh air in your boat. Actually don't worry at all unless you have zero clue what you are doing on the water. Otherwise enjoy and don't worry, be happy.

Status
Not open for further replies.