How to read weather for boating

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maj92az

Seaman
I don't boat in the sea, but in N Idaho. 2 or 3 lakes that are 2 miles or 12 miles wide by 30 or 50. Pretty big.

last few weeks weather is choppy. Or even has small "rolling" current. Not fun in my boat...dont get me started on wakes from boats. But it's every ones lake.

the weather called for 5-10mph winds. But I swear in the few weeks back even more wind would result in less choppy water.
someone thinks it's the current from the rivers but seems like too much action from small rivers.... anything to look for or to know?

any difference from the small waves/whitecaps to the "rolling" water/current

thx

cptbill

Senior Chief Petty Officer
If the current from the river is flowing in the opposite direction from the wind it will make thing choppier(2 opposite forces)Those of us that deal with tides have the same thing going on might seem smother going out and choppy on the way back. wind is also one of the hardest things to predict because there are so many factors that can affect it

Capt.Ed

Recruit
Cptbill, you are dead on, many boaters don't take into consideration the effect surface winds play on current. In Florida when cross the Gulf Stream it always a concern we plan for, as you can find yourself in 6' plus seas, which makes for a slow, wet and uncomfortable ride. Which is why monitor NOAA weather periodically while on the water, at the very minimum is encouraged, as weather can sometimes change quicker than you can return to Port.

Status
Not open for further replies.