Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nighttime Boating and Speed (continued with new thread)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see well in the dark at all so I don't boat at night.

Comment

some waters are better than others to boat night, and two boats passing in the night has a certain appeal to me
      Bring rain gear !

Comment

We boat on a decent size lake in northeastern PA. Lake Wallenpaupack. 52 miles of shoreline, 13 miles long. We did the 4th of July celebration on the lake once. Never again... The fireworks were great, but leaving was a horror show. We should have waited an hour before heading back. As others have stated, idiots flying by us as if it were daylight. A few cut way too close... right across our bow without regard. I just don't get it. Are they that stupid? Ignorant? Selfish? Sometimes I think there should be licensing like driver's licensing for automobiles. We need more policing on the lake.

Comment

I remember seeing evening fireworks from multiple harbors on the south end of Lake HURON.-----A fairly big lake it is.-----There was no traffic that would bother a 41' sailboat 3 miles offshore.-----I can imagine the pandemonium in some areas when the fireworks are over.----Do not want any part of that show.

Comment

Originally posted by racerone View Post
            Since time began humans are always taking calculated risks.----Have not seen this improving at all.----See it getting worse !
            But I truly believe "Common Sense" is declining.

I Enjoy Night Running, for the most part. Pitch Black sucks, but if there is enough light to make out silhouettes, then it's relaxing. I do however, paint my Gauge Lights red, shut off all interior lights (stereo, cargo, light strips) and drive to conditions.

Comment

And not to mention all of the ________ that put headlights on their boats. The _________ on the lake I like to fish at nite love blinding me.

Comment

Like Racer, I avoid situations like that...Dont like people that much, too dangerous a scenerio. Been there done that.
                However if in that situation, I'd be way over, out of the way..and going pretty slow. unless i'm offshore, with my Radar on, its not worth the risk, go slow.

Comment

I’ve actually thought about rigging up a set of forward running lights on my fishing boat just for emergency situations where I can’t get back to camp/ramp before dark. Something LED that I can stow and just rig up if I really need them.

Comment

Originally posted by Simple_Man View Post
                    And not to mention all of the ________ that put headlights on their boats. The _________ on the lake I like to fish at nite love blinding me.
                    I think running with extra lights on (except for certain allowed reasons) is illegal, USCG approved navigation lights are the only thing that should be on while underway, no-one should hold a light straight on you or have headlights on while underway, I've seen a pontoon boat pulled over for that (I think it was for that)
                    Bring rain gear !

Comment

Working...
                    X