Nighttime Boating and Speed (continued with new thread) Too Much Spam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I love to boat at night, especially on the 4th of July, I love the spectacle of boats, at my local spot, nearly every vintage and style of boat can be seen together, huge yachts may be anchored next to small center consoles, houseboats next to row boats, all for a moment on an equal plane, no one better than anyone else, but once the fireworks ends, it all changes, I must be careful, the whole crowd leaves at once, up a narrow channel, no place for a swimmer if you find yourself overboard, your best bet would be to unclasp your life jacket and dive deep. I tend to steam ahead at about 5 knots in pure darkness (no radar) boats flying by on both sides like a one way street. I don't mind it, I have a good stern light and they can easily see me, I hold it steady, don't make any sudden moves, I don't get in a hurry, call me crazy, I like it !

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
When you dive deep, how long can you hold your breath?

Why do the smart thing and avoid the situation? Wait until the traffic dies down before heading home. A good stern light is invisible to an inebriated operator and reflexes are slowed.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Many bad events ( hospital visits ) were " fun at the beginning " and before things went sour.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner
Sounds like the fireworks display on the Cumberland in Nashville..when its over it a race to the lock before operator leaves. He gets off at 12PM and at 12:00.01 he is out the door no matter how many are waiting to lock thru.

Elkins45

Petty Officer 2nd Class
When I was younger I used to camp on Land Between The Lakes and jug fish for catfish in a big bay off Kentucky Lake. I would wait until around midnight and release my jugs in the head of the bay then run back to my campsite which was near the mouth. The bay is probably 500 yards wide and there are literally only two obstacles in it: a pair of tethered buoys marking the line of closure for a seasonal wildlife refuge. I can't tell you how many times I hit or just narrowly missed the southern one on the way back to camp, but after enough times it finally dawned on me that if I couldn't see a buoy that was designed to be seen then I didn't have a chance of avoiding something like a canoe or swimmer if I was running on plane after sunset.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I almost hit a pole once, I almost hit a buoy a few times, those times it were all clear nights, I was going too fast, so now I slow down, slow enough to see the surface reflection on a still night, slow enough not to hit something hard enough to rip the transom open, there is still the possibility of hitting something or being hit, but the water is usually pretty quite at night here, except on the 4th, even then I don't run on plane in the dark even if boats are passing me, but I must say its a chore keeping it straight going over everyone's wake.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
but I do see a lot of people on plane in the dark, that is what I consider very risky

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Some 40 years ago I was out boating at night on a wide ( nearly a mile ) river.------Spotted a canoe with no lights and younger folks going to an annual party across the river.--------Turned around and stayed with them till they hit the beach.------Told them to at have a flashlight next time.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Since time began humans are always taking calculated risks.----Have not seen this improving at all.----See it getting worse !

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Have not seen this improving at all.----See it getting worse !
I doubt the prevalence has changed. The population has doubled in the past 60 years. Twice as many idiots out there as before.

Come in one night last year to find a row boat with three individuals anchored (tied to?) the outer inlet marker.

Too close to the marker to different on radar. Shined a flash light on me as I dropped off plane coming into the marker. Rolled them pretty good in the process.

Boats much bigger than I regularly run the inlet. Amazed they didn't get swamped sitting there.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Some 40 years ago I was out boating at night on a wide ( nearly a mile ) river.------Spotted a canoe with no lights and younger folks going to an annual party across the river.--------Turned around and stayed with them till they hit the beach.------Told them to at have a flashlight next time.

Yeah, once I was piddling along around midnight on our lake, 340 acers. Suddenly I saw a spark of some sort ahead of me, some teens in a paddle boat were dead ahead of me, I cranked the helm, even though I was going slow I almost hit them. All they had with them was a bic lighter, that was the spark I saw.
I informed them rather firmly to get a flashlight next time.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
I almost hit the channel marker pictured one night years ago before it was lit , last week I almost hit a submerged plank in broad daylight, its hard expecting the unexpected and keeping a sharp eye ahead every second , but as idealistic as that sounds its a good goal to strive for

Attachments

• photo326075.jpg
    photo326075.jpg
    667.5 KB · Views: 3

racerone

Supreme Mariner
Night vision goggles can be a help.----Cheaper now than years ago.-------Have your co-skipper be the seeing eye dog beside you.

Prophammer

Chief Petty Officer
some waters are better than others to boat night, and two boats passing in the night has a certain appeal to me

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
We boat on a decent size lake in northeastern PA. Lake Wallenpaupack. 52 miles of shoreline, 13 miles long. We did the 4th of July celebration on the lake once. Never again... The fireworks were great, but leaving was a horror show. We should have waited an hour before heading back. As others have stated, idiots flying by us as if it were daylight. A few cut way too close... right across our bow without regard. I just don't get it. Are they that stupid? Ignorant? Selfish? Sometimes I think there should be licensing like driver's licensing for automobiles. We need more policing on the lake.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
I remember seeing evening fireworks from multiple harbors on the south end of Lake HURON.-----A fairly big lake it is.-----There was no traffic that would bother a 41' sailboat 3 miles offshore.-----I can imagine the pandemonium in some areas when the fireworks are over.----Do not want any part of that show.

Doh

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Since time began humans are always taking calculated risks.----Have not seen this improving at all.----See it getting worse !

But I truly believe "Common Sense" is declining.

I Enjoy Night Running, for the most part. Pitch Black sucks, but if there is enough light to make out silhouettes, then it's relaxing. I do however, paint my Gauge Lights red, shut off all interior lights (stereo, cargo, light strips) and drive to conditions.

Status
Not open for further replies.