When to use Bilge Blower/When Not to use Bilge Blower

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Oh god help me...I’m going to be controversial here. I’ve an MPI and a large sun pad full width engine bay. I never use my blower.
If I had a carb and especially on a boat with the small compact engine hatch with jump seats at both sides...I’d certainly just leave it on all the time. I’ve personally seen a bayliner 175 with this set up explode and also years earlier a fletcher too. Both had a carb 3.0 and the literally engine sized right box section surround hatch.

Bt Doctur

Supreme Mariner
"I never use my blower."

Can you post your full name, address, next of kin phone ,contact number , personal mortuary because MPI`s do blow up and we need a way to notify your next of kin

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
"I never use my blower."

Can you post your full name, address, next of kin phone ,contact number , personal mortuary because MPI`s do blow up and we need a way to notify your next of kin

I knew I’d get grief for this. I probably should use it...but it’s true that they don’t have the same residual vapour linger that a carb open system does.
Point taken though and I’d never advise others to follow suit.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
While MPI's don't have as much of a chance to emit fuel vapors, there is always a chance of a leaking fuel line (tank to pump/filter) and don't forget, gas fill lines can leak as well. On multiport systems, the O-rings for the injectors can also leak, its a well known problem on certain systems. You have a gas inboard, you should have both a blower and gas vapor detector and USE BOTH. Once your boat reaches about 10 years old or so..look for cracks in the fuel lines...if you have to use ethanol fuel...that can degrade fuel lines..in fact...I've seen the metal cannister of a water separating fuel filter rust, left too long that will leak too. You should also open up the gas tank hatch or circular cover and check the lines where they connect to the tank and the gasket for the fuel sending unit, check once at the start of each season. There was a post on the Sea Swirl board of a boat that had a flash fire because the sending unit bolts were loose, allowed fuel vapors to build up and caused a fire. And it was an outboard boat!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
one crack in the fill hose or in the vent hose from the tank an enough fuel vapors fill the bilge that you become a 5 minute story on the 6pm news.

just the act of filling fuel at the dock is enough for vapors external to the boat to enter the boat and fill the bilge.

use your blowers, or at least list me as beneficiary.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
https://www.fireboy-xintex.com/gasol...ume-detectors/

Yes, your nose is more sensitive, but these should be standard equipment on gas inboard boats, I added one about 6 years back. The older your boat gets the more important it is to have one.

Your house has smoke and CO detectors, right? Your inboard should have this....

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
The Xintex manual says: "Due to the harsh environmental conditions in marine applications, it is recommended to replace the Gasoline Fume Sensors every 3-4 years."
Worse than no detector at all is a detector that may not work.

TimB19

Cadet
We used to have a '98 Stingray I/O, and now have an '07 I/O. The blower in the '07 works so much better(more powerful and moves much more air).
If I'm under 20 mph I'll turn it on. Even while cruising I'll turn it on every few minutes for about a minute. Although the air intake on the engine is probably doing enough for the work.