9 injured, 4 missing

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
On the Colorado River September 2, 2018. 9 injured, 4 presumed dead.
​​It was reported as a head-on collision.

Too many times have I been in a situation when other "boaters" have a disregard for rules of the water. I've had to throttle down, throttle up, veer away sharply to avoid collision, with the other person oblivious to what they have done or just don't care.
A few of times I think it was intentional. In three separate incidents, boats have cut across my bow within 30 feet and no other boats were around. Once it was at night after a firework display. The other two times there was plenty of lake to make their move after we passed each other. I think their intent was to put me into their wake. Maybe just plain disrespect or maybe intoxication...who knows?
In my younger more intolerant days, I would have probably chased them down....but now I try not to make them ruin our day out.
And just to note, I'm no speed demon. I usually just go fast enough to get on plane then throttle down a bit just enough to keep it there. That's around 25 mph. The rest of the time I just idle around, taking in the sites.

tpenfield

Staff member
No air bags on boats. So, when you hit something it is not pretty. Every year there seems to be a crash like this, either a boat hitting something or 2 boats colliding.

I have not seen any reports of how the head-on crash happened, or if the navigation lights were on/working since it was evening/night.

As far as wreckless boaters, I don’t think they are impacted by these sorts of incidents. May not even pay attention to the media reports

Sprig

Chief Petty Officer
As of today one body has been recovered, a 51 year old woman. There were 10 people in one boat and 6 in the other. None were wearing pfd’s. All 16 were thrown into the water . The accident happened about 8:00 pm in low light conditions and both boats were estimated to be going 50 mph when the collided head on. So they were both going way to fast for conditions, visibility limited due to low light and no one wearing a pfd. I’m sure one or both drivers were inattentive and I’d be willing to bet alcohol was involved. That is definitely the formula for a deadly boating accident.
Ive been on that part of the Colorado, it’s not that wide and there is always lots and lots of boats in the area on summer weekends. It’s very sad but was so easily preventable.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Found 1 of the missing today, a 51yr old woman. 3 still missing