PFD law is needed and what is wrong with people

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Very sad story about the young family. I've boated the Apostle Islands many times, life jacket won't help you in Superior. Once your in that water you got maybe 15 minutes before you succumb to hypothermia. I was always with a group of other boats, safety in numbers.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Very sad story about the young family. I've boated the Apostle Islands many times, life jacket won't help you in Superior. Once your in that water you got maybe 15 minutes before you succumb to hypothermia. I was always with a group of other boats, safety in numbers.

Do you guys have survival suits onboard on those waters? Would they save someone?

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I don't think anyone had a survival suit on their boat. They could definitely be the difference between life and death. If I boated Superior on a regular basis by myself I'd want a survival suit or full wet suit.

If someone on Madeline Island rented those kayaks to that family(which I suspect is where they got them) that should have never happened. They obviously had no clue how deadly that water can be once your in it. Too sad. We were actually swimming off the boats that August day. But that was freakish as I've never been in Superior when it was warm enough to actually swim in for more than a few seconds.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
My wife and I have survival jackets that we picked up and have on the boat, they provide floatation and prevent water entry around the vital organs and do help, but it is still a real gamble when you go in cold water and your time is limited.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There are a lot of people that don't wear seat belts(stupidity and it's ultimate) and that is mandatory. What makes you think they are going to wear PFDs

NYBo

Admiral
There are a lot of people that don't wear seat belts(stupidity and it's ultimate) and that is mandatory. What makes you think they are going to wear PFDs

It will increase the percentage, just like seatbelt laws did. No law has 100% compliance.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I read recently where 2 youngsters under 13 drowned up north kayaking without PFD's. They were Native Canadian. Their Father was quoted to the effect that it isn't traditional to wear a PFD. What a stupid reason.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Blind Date;n10677773ad. We were actually swimming off the boats that August day. But that was freakish as I've never been in Superior when it was warm enough to actually swim in for more than a few seconds. [/QUOTE said:
The same goes for the west end of Lake Ontario. I grew up in Hamilton and can count on 1 hand how many times we tried to swim in that lake, a minute was a long time. The east end is different where you have shallow warm waters. But you still see many without PFD's on boating the bay or the main lake around Hamilton. Just stupid or ignorant, pick one.