PFD law is needed and what is wrong with people

89retta

Senior Chief Petty Officer
In two separate incidents two young lives were lost here in Alberta. One was a 16 year old who went missing on a lake by Fort Mac the other an 8 year old on Lac la Biche. The 16 year old was out by himself and they found his overturned boat. The 8 year old was out in a canoe with another young person when a storm blew in. All of them should've been wearing PFDs. In the case of the 8 year old I want to know what is wrong with them. You have 2 young children out in a canoe on a lake known to have fast storms and little to no shelter. That lake gets rough in a hurry. There is no need for so many deaths on the water if only people would wear PFDs

Jet tracker

Cadet
Here in pennsylvania I believe anyone under a certain age has to have them on at all times and if u are in a boat under 16 ft you have to where them all the time. Also from Nov 1st to April 30 everyone one that water must have one on. Just witnessed a water rescue this evening with a cano in the dark flipped over. U can't hand someone common sense!

89retta

Its sad that people lose their lives when a PFD would have saved it. I'm so pissed at the parents of the 8 year old .

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Not a boat or a canoe etc etc

but can happen to surfers as well,

37 yr old surfer " drowned" here in southern Tassie yesterday,
out by himself early in the morning

single kayaker came across? him,
got in the water to try and get him back on his board along with a police officer who swam the ~ 100 mts out from the beach,

both rescuers were taken to hospital, the kayaker dislocated his shoulder while trying to get the surfer on his board and the police officer with mild hypothermia,

pardon the intrusion...

89retta

People have to respect the water. It doesn't care if you live or die

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The laws are on the books, but so are speed limits and passing school buses.

Laws don't fix stupid.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I think I have commented that Texas is a "No Refusal" State. I have heard people comment about being "Bird Dogged" by the GW's. They don't realize those Guys are doing their job. Read what's under the sign when you enter the State. "Don't Mess With Texas".

Looked on Crime Reporter: Since 12:01 AM Saturday; there have been 66 arrests involving DWI/DUI. There is a billboard sign that has been there for years. "Don't Drink And Drive; You Can't Afford It"!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Pure stupidity by most.
And the parents of those children...I don't know what to say...I know when our children were young, they were never out of our sight and we're always within our reach. On top of that, they always had protection when in the water.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Good thing they put “do not drink” labels on bottles of drain cleaner....

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
https://www.wdio.com/news/kayak-capsized-madeline-island-/5052796/?cat=10335
All were wearing pfd's. It's not always drowning. Hypothermia plays a big role in the great lakes. I feel so bad for the family. They did not understand what this lake can do. I've been out there in some pretty nasty conditions, Once I debated running to shore and hitting the beach as I thought I was not going to make it back to port. The beaches are far and few between them. Lots of rock's and cliffs along the islands.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Waiting to hear more about that crash on the Colorado River. Two boats; sixteen people! Beyond Stupidity

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
https://www.wdio.com/news/kayak-capsized-madeline-island-/5052796/?cat=10335
All were wearing pfd's. It's not always drowning. Hypothermia plays a big role in the great lakes. I feel so bad for the family. They did not understand what this lake can do. I've been out there in some pretty nasty conditions, Once I debated running to shore and hitting the beach as I thought I was not going to make it back to port. The beaches are far and few between them. Lots of rock's and cliffs along the islands.

Grub, I've been following that story all weekend, so many different versions.
This story says all found in the water, others say 4 of them had washed up on the island.
Another said wife stayed with kayak, dad and kids tried to swim for island.
Some stories say she was the mother, others said they were his kids, not hers.
That family if from my area.
Doesn't make sense to me, never seen a kayak that will carry 5 people.
I can't imagine ever taking a 3 year old out on Superior ion a kayak.

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
This story says all found in the water, others say 4 of them had washed up on the island.
[/QUOTE

I don't know all the details either, As far as the kayak, I'm thinking more of a duck hunting type of some kind, where ya sit on top of the thing. Some did try to swim to shore but the rest I don't know. I agree, why take such young children out on this lake, it a dangerous place for even experienced people. Seen to many go down over the years.
Even lost a fishing guide a couple winters ago, Took his sled to a known area that has thin ice. Or the bass boats that are told it's to rough for them today, down they go. Last year was a kayaker that had on a wetsuit, tipped over and could not get it on as he had it unzipped and half on. Friends went for help, but were to late in returning.
Sad when things like this happen.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer

That one too! No offense to kayak boaters; but to me it would be like sitting on a split log. One of the local lakes had some jet skis that were trying to swamp some kayaks. In return they were pelted with paint balls.. The locals never found the pistol.
Hypothermia too! Our well water is 64 dg. No way would I take a cold shower.

briangcc

Commander
*Might* not have been from the area (tourists) or *might* not have had enough common sense to plan ahead.

Unfortunately stories like this occur too often and are preventable when the appropriate measures are taken.

Last year (I think it was last year anyways) 3 kayakers went out on Lake Ontario during the record flooding. 2 made it back, last one was found a day or so later - didn't make it.

Believe it was last year or the year before a boat with (2) Amish men capsized trying to make it back to a state launch during a nasty storm on another lake I frequent. One was found under the boat deceased. Divers found his partner's body a couple days later. Same lake and I believe the same year a group from NJ were scooting across the lake in unfamiliar waters. They hit something and were all ejected. I believe the father perished saving his son. Life jackets in both these stories weren't worn.

List goes on and on - just check the past news stories.

Here there is a law on the books for how long you need to wear a life jacket as a youngster AND also out of season (Sept/Oct - May/June - I have to brush up to confirm actual requirements). My boys are currently conditioned that IF they are going near a dock or on our boat they MUST have their life jacket on first - no exceptions.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
*Might* not have been from the area (tourists) or *might* not have had enough common sense to plan ahead.

They lived about 140 miles away, but frequented and kayaked this area several times a year according to local news reports.

Just sad, and strange. They should have righted the craft, placed the kids in or on it, and stayed with it.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
A lot of us wear our PFD's around here because we at least want them to find us if we perish and if you go in the water here in NW Montana it does not take long to perish, our water is cold year around, the lake I was on the other day, even with the air temp at 85 degrees the water was 42 degrees. So if you go overboard or are thrown, capsize or what ever you have about 15 minutes before the full effects of hypothermia set in. I have pulled quite a few people out of the water over the years, that were just about beyond help. I keep wool blankets on the boat, extra PFD's as well as hot drinks on board no matter what time of year it is.

I have worked search and rescue over the years and I really hate it when it is a water incident and it makes me sick to my stomach when it involves kids.

Water is nothing to trifle with and cold water is really bad.

:blue:

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Stupidity is not the fault of the stupid. It is passed on through the genepool. Sometimes skipping a generation or an offspring. However an individual that has a semblance of intelligence is just ignorant. We know them all, including me.

harringtondav

Commander
Seven weeks ago a couple decided to go kayaking in a severely flooded creek in east central IA. They encountered a log jam. The hub went under, wife managed to climb on the logs and was rescued. Hub was dragged out a week later.

Tearful interviews with mom, now with two fatherless kids. Victim, victim. I try to stay w/in the rules of PC, and am not cruel. But at times like this, I have to ask, "what the heck were you thinking".

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
You can legislated until you're blue in the face but you can't fix stupid.