PFD law is needed and what is wrong with people

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by briangcc View Post
    *Might* not have been from the area (tourists) or *might* not have had enough common sense to plan ahead.

They lived about 140 miles away, but frequented and kayaked this area several times a year according to local news reports.

Just sad, and strange. They should have righted the craft, placed the kids in or on it, and stayed with it.
    Medford, WI

Comment

A lot of us wear our PFD's around here because we at least want them to find us if we perish and if you go in the water here in NW Montana it does not take long to perish, our water is cold year around, the lake I was on the other day, even with the air temp at 85 degrees the water was 42 degrees. So if you go overboard or are thrown, capsize or what ever you have about 15 minutes before the full effects of hypothermia set in. I have pulled quite a few people out of the water over the years, that were just about beyond help. I keep wool blankets on the boat, extra PFD's as well as hot drinks on board no matter what time of year it is.

I have worked search and rescue over the years and I really hate it when it is a water incident and it makes me sick to my stomach when it involves kids.

Water is nothing to trifle with and cold water is really bad.

Comment

Stupidity is not the fault of the stupid. It is passed on through the genepool. Sometimes skipping a generation or an offspring. However an individual that has a semblance of intelligence is just ignorant. We know them all, including me.
        Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

Seven weeks ago a couple decided to go kayaking in a severely flooded creek in east central IA. They encountered a log jam. The hub went under, wife managed to climb on the logs and was rescued. Hub was dragged out a week later.

Tearful interviews with mom, now with two fatherless kids. Victim, victim. I try to stay w/in the rules of PC, and am not cruel. But at times like this, I have to ask, "what the heck were you thinking".
          '96 Larson 174 SEI BR. 4.3LX 4 bbl Weber s/n 0F786604. Alpha One Gen II s/n 0F709315

Comment

You can legislated until you're blue in the face but you can't fix stupid.

Comment

Very sad story about the young family. I've boated the Apostle Islands many times, life jacket won't help you in Superior. Once your in that water you got maybe 15 minutes before you succumb to hypothermia. I was always with a group of other boats, safety in numbers.

1997 SeaRay 250 Sundancer "Blind Date"
              1979 GlastronCarlson CVX18 "Back in Black"
              1985 GlastronCarlson CVX18 " Had to Have it"
              1989 SeaRay 160 "Red Rotten"

Comment

Originally posted by Blind Date View Post
                Very sad story about the young family. I've boated the Apostle Islands many times, life jacket won't help you in Superior. Once your in that water you got maybe 15 minutes before you succumb to hypothermia. I was always with a group of other boats, safety in numbers.

Do you guys have survival suits onboard on those waters? Would they save someone?
                Experience is a lifetime of mistakes, wisdom is not making them again.

Comment

I don't think anyone had a survival suit on their boat. They could definitely be the difference between life and death. If I boated Superior on a regular basis by myself I'd want a survival suit or full wet suit.

If someone on Madeline Island rented those kayaks to that family(which I suspect is where they got them) that should have never happened. They obviously had no clue how deadly that water can be once your in it. Too sad. We were actually swimming off the boats that August day. But that was freakish as I've never been in Superior when it was warm enough to actually swim in for more than a few seconds.
                  Last edited by Blind Date; November 10th, 2018, 07:23 AM.
                  1997 SeaRay 250 Sundancer "Blind Date"
                  1979 GlastronCarlson CVX18 "Back in Black"
                  1985 GlastronCarlson CVX18 " Had to Have it"
                  1989 SeaRay 160 "Red Rotten"

Comment

My wife and I have survival jackets that we picked up and have on the boat, they provide floatation and prevent water entry around the vital organs and do help, but it is still a real gamble when you go in cold water and your time is limited.

Comment

There are a lot of people that don't wear seat belts(stupidity and it's ultimate) and that is mandatory. What makes you think they are going to wear PFDs
                      1998 Wellcraft Eclipse 24 Cuddy
                      Volvo Penta Duo-Prop 7.4L "LK"

2006 Sun Tracker Party Barge 21
                      Mercury 90 4-Stroke FI
                      "Common sense is not very common"
                      "Failing to prepare is preparing to fail." -- John Wooden

Comment

Working...
                      X