My recent "Safety Inspection"

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Okay, Bob_VT has gone to a fiberglass boat (which is a shocker) and launched it on it's maiden voyage this past weekend. The State Police pulled me over for a Safety Inspection" and I got s surprise-

My Kidde Fire Extinguisher might have been a subject of a recall. Passed the inspection and contacted Kidde to check the extinguisher -Yes it has been recalled.

PLEASE Check your Kidde extinguisher and if it has been recalled Kidde will send you a new one and a label to send the old one back. There are youtube videos and website instructions to check. The lifespan on the small extinguishers is normally 12 years and mine was 6 years old so it was a win-win situation.

Be Safe and enjoy!

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The State Police did a boat inspection? Never heard of that. Or was the fire extinguisher in your truck?

dwco5051

Commander
Vermont is one of several states where the state police marine division are responsible for boating law enforcement.

211libwtfo

Petty Officer 1st Class
In Illinois/Iowa we have sheriffs department, dnr and state police on patrol. And on the Mississippi River it’s both states. Oh and the coast guard auxiliary.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The State Police did a boat inspection? Never heard of that. Or was the fire extinguisher in your truck?

Here in Ontario our Provincial Police O.P.P. (Staties south) do marine inspections. I was inspected no less than 3 times a few years ago. One duffus almost swamped us running his centre council with twin 300's. You would have thought he was coming alongside Pablo Escobar himself, idiot. And I voiced my displeasure because I was 110% compliant and always am, usually. His partner apologized, he didn't. Come to find out one day buddy had Vodka Tonic in his water bottles.

NYBo

Admiral
In Illinois/Iowa we have sheriffs department, dnr and state police on patrol. And on the Mississippi River it’s both states. Oh and the coast guard auxiliary.

Just to be clear, the Coast Guard Auxiliary has no law enforcement power.

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member
Thank you Kidde for the replacement that arrived today - now I pray I never have to use it!

briangcc

Commander
Yep mine was replaced - only a year old. Was a bit of a chore mailing the old one back. First Fedex guy told me he couldn't take it. Luckily the driver reached over the counter and took it from me saying he'd take it.

Mopie

Cadet
The Kiddie Extinguishers are to be picked up at your home or business location.
Call and arrange, they will get em. No signature required.
You were lucky that driver was there.

briangcc

Commander
The Kiddie Extinguishers are to be picked up at your home or business location.
Call and arrange, they will get em. No signature required.
You were lucky that driver was there.

The FedEx website listed the branch I stopped at as accepting these. Which is why I was a little more than miffed that the wonderful counter person said I needed to drive into the inner city to a different branch that would take it.

AlabamaNewbie

Petty Officer 1st Class
I had one of these in my patrol car a few years ago. We were in this super excessive drought, and people flicking cigarette butts out was causing road side fires every day. I happened upon one that was very recent, had a patch of grass about 2 ft in diameter burning. I grabbed my FE from the trunk, pulled the pin, squeezed and --- nothing. nada. zilch. So I smacked the nozzle hard on the road and broke the whole head off. And there I was folks - on the side of the interstate, shaking a fire extinguisher like a salt shaker, shaking the powder on to the fire.

I am sure it looked quite hilarious, but I like to think I saved Alabama. :)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
The opposite of what happened to me AlabamaNewbie . A high dock railway tie had caught on fire. I ran into the closest furnace controlroom to grab an extinguisher, since it was pitch black out I pulled the pin while in the controlroom. The entire thing emptied all over the instruments and the Foreman and controlroom operator. At the time I reported to that Foreman. He didn't think it was as funny as I did. They were so short of young Foremen I didn't even get a slap on the wrist.