My Views On Safety

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
As a mad keen aussie angler who like to angle way out in the briney deep (20koff shore on the cont shelf and canyons beyond) and using a not so young Outboard of 29 years of age a dramatic or catastrophic failure is very very high on my wish to not happen list but if it did say for example throw the dizzy drive belt and stop and that little old auxilliary motor you forget to get that little miss and fart seen too does miss fart and stop, visually there’s no boats in sight, you call out a May Day and using your highly expensive finder sounder plotter thing you can give the local coasties a shout and they send out the old rescue boat to get you and tow you home all’s well and ends well.

The above is what we all wish should happen, but and with this there’s lots of boats , not all boats are correctly or smartly fitted out for the type of fishing one does and I’m only picking on fishos not the sailing cruising fraternity, not all boats are the same, in this country we can tend to throw caution out the window or over the side lol the old no worry’s mate she’ll be right ay, I have little alloy dinkys in places they shouldn’t be carrying too many beer idiots not wearing vests or jackets, Ill bet my left one they won’t have jackets on board, the cooler box is full of beer, Ive seen guys in boats that think they are safe coz they have a radio and phones, in this country if you go out of sight of the coast you must carry an EPIRB, you must have for every person on the boat you must have 4 litres of water per day ! You must have life vests that are in time! The old PFDs are not liked by the Maritime Services Board, do they have a grab bag and a waterproof bag for phones, portable VHF radio, your ID wallet etc , you must also have the standard 4 flares a V blanket,

The above for power boat owners that do venture out should make them sit back n think about there boats and there behaviour, when I say behaviour do you take yobbo approach boat built for 4 carrying 6 or more, esky full of ****, sorry aussie slang for cooler full of beer lol, have life jackets that were made when Jesus was a lad, and flares five or more years old, bugger all else. It’s usually these types that end up needing help, look and think what can happen, your belting along at 35 mph with a few stubbies in ya sorry stubbies is bottle of beer, tinnies are cans lol ok so your bashing along and what can happen , well, the options here are endless, old motor go bang, hit a submerged reef a) hole your hull, b) take your prop off, you could hit a container that’s been floating around submerged for years and the damage from that will see you bobbing around in the water with you any mates that survived , what’s in your pockets , ah this is the good one so she’ll be right any probs ill call the missus ( wife etc ) and she will sort it no worries mate. What’s in your pocket, wet phone, soggy smokes, and bugger all else, were you wearing a vest? No time to think boat did the Titanic trick,

The above the should have points, should have told local police or volunteer coast guard who you are how, many you are , where your going , how many souls on board and the xpected time of return,
should have right PFDs, should have in date flares, should have a grab bag and water proof container should have made sure peoples on board have a vest and should have made sure that you as the skipper and you who is responsible for the souls on board and your self and vessel, should have made sure the right saftey gear is on board and should make sure that mental checklist is adhered too.

Ok so anything can wrong there’s no knowing what will or can happen, you have no idea who or how many survive, or if that radio call was received or that distress flare seen wether your on board or in the drink wondering WTF just happened,
In my mind wether your an Aussie a Yank or a Pom saftey is saftey.

Your at the ramp or mooring or wherever what do you do first, visually check your plugs are in and tight, your front rope is secure blah blah ,
so your in the boat and it’s in the water or beached or whatever, that waterproof container, in there go
Your phone and anyone else willing to forget Facebook n selfies for the day there phone is in there to, keys, wallets, hopefully a portable VHF Radio,

The grab bag, in it the flares, V blanket, water proof matches, knife, water proof container with basic first aid supplies, few bottles of water.
yourself and your mates are wearing PFDs, you have spent a few minutes talking to your mates and laying down the law, the donts and dos the safties, where they are, if you have too leave the boat coz it left you , you will grab the EPIRB and set the EPIRB off, grab the grab bag, stuff the waterproof tainer in the grab bag, make sure it’s tethered to you, in the drink you go and the rest should be common knowledge if you don’t know the first thing about saftey or boats you don’t deserve to have a boat and the volunteer coast guards would prefer to not go and put himself and his shipmates in danger going out to hopefully find this lil tinny boat full off beered up nut jobs .

This is my view of a perfect world
Every boat ramp would have a permanent volunteer who would take note of your boat rego number, number on board, and visually check your safties,
Every boat would have either a fixed radio or portable unit.
Everyboat under 10 meters would have there bottoms to the chine line or waterline be painted Air Sea Orange, why? If your boats gone tits up and is upside down that orange hull is going to stick out like tits on a bull to any chopper or fixed wing out looking for you.
Every boat regardless of size will have an EPIRB.
Alcohol and boating needs to be addressed there’s way to many ratbags that go drishing rather then fishing.
Everyboat should have a Drogue or sea anchor / sea brake they can deploy to slow the hull up in case of a bad current
I have more but it’s crack of sparrows ( indecently early morn) here I had a wierd nights sleep so I’ll look into this later

achris

More fish than mountain goat
As a fellow Aussie, couldn't agree more. Myself, I venture a little further than 20km (more like 40 NM, which is 75 km) out to an island group, Houtman's-Abrolhos. As such I carry, above and beyond legal requirements, VHF, V-sheet, WAY more than 4 flares (last count was over 25). A recent and well maintained engine, and 100% more fuel than predicted. As I fish deep water I routinely carry 2 drogues.

I also work on vessels offshore, so have seen my fair share of rotten weather. Last September the boat I was on was caught in a hurricane in the North Atlantic... That's wasn't much fun!

Cheers from Perth.

Chris.......

Blueghost924

Petty Officer 1st Class
As a member of the US Coast Guard Auxiliary, I love seeing emails like this that makes awareness that safe boating is the only way to go. I would much rather be standing on the shore wishing I was on the water than be on the water wishing I was on the shore.

Cheers!

andrew j cox

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ive been around boats for 40 years, I’ve seen some really silly stuff over the years! Little 12 foot tinnys with 6 and even 8 people crammed in not a Pfd to be seen, you name it Ive seen it, it’s a fun sport but if you turn your back on the sea she will bite you on the bum every time, it’s these idiots that stuff it for the rest, as a skipper your in charge, those poor buggers on board with you hope you know what your doing and you will get them home safely, common sense really.

My dear old dad was a soldier and a copper he was a master navigator a total master at survival, in his last few years we often spoke of marketing a survival kit purely for boaters be they avid off shore types or just flinging lines in the river, Ive decided to give it ago, in this country we have all sorts of sports that involves boats, we have all sorts of condions from freezing cold to temps so hot you can fry n egg on the forpeak of your dingy, we have sea wasps, dirty great big white sharks and really big crocs, water that’s smooth as glass or 5 meter waves, the law of probability anything that can go wrong will go wrong, one needs to be prepared.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
G'day again,
your ideas have merit
BUT the people your focusing on ( overloaded tinnies/ too much booze/ little safety gear etc etc ) won't be reading this at all regardless of where they are,
we've all seen that scenario but your preaching to the congregation here, if l'm allowed to use that saying,

they don't think it's gonna happen to them and it's boof's boat and it all looks ok etc etc,

the only time they're gonna take any notice of safety is when the marine copper is lecturing them while writing out the ticket,

l wouldn't spend a lot of money setting up grab bags for that small section of the market as they buy stuff of ebay one item at a time, regardless of whether it's suitable or not as it's cheaper for them that way,

People who go out regularly will buy grab bags from dedicated chandlers, like Whitworths etc etc,
and they know how to use it and when,

the yobbo market don't care until they get lumbered

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I tried to translate that post into Canadian, close. I, we get your point. Idiots are idiots and you can't fix stupid. You are preaching to the choir Mate. I would like to see legislation here in Ontario Canada where you can't swing a cat without hitting a big lake. That legislation would limit the distance offshore you are allowed to boat based on the size of boat or vessel. Pretty simple really. To simple for our Provincial or Federal Parliament to understand. I am tired of towing in families of 6 in a 14 foot tinny with a dead 40 year old 9.9 or risking my vessel and crew getting too many people on my 20 footer when I'm high tailing it in from a storm on the Great Lakes, they are inland seas. Babies no older than 3 in a 14 foot sardine can packed with 6 people 5 miles from shore in 1 meter waves, stupid idiots. I can't leave them out there but wish I could leave the dumbass father on his own.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
I re read your post. Very understandable without the pint of Ale in front of me.

In that perfect boating world the rampy will launch your boat for you and park your truck. Believe it or not there is a small Mom and Pop marina here on the north shore of Erie that will do just that. All for 5 bucks.

I thought I have seen and heard pretty well all there is to see and hear, RATBAG, never heard that one, that is a keeper. Thanks for the post Mate, G'Day.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That legislation would limit the distance offshore you are allowed to boat based on the size of boat or vessel.
Boat size has nothing to do with it....People have rowed across the Pacific without incidence and people have died running into dock in a small lake.........Remove All The Warning Labels and The Problem Works Itself Out....lol

IMHO....The best solution is to require a valid Captains license to operate a boat of any kind....;)

Old Ironmaker

Captain
IMHO....The best solution is to require a valid Captains license to operate a boat of any kind....;)

You mean not the Mickey Mouse test we have here that is done online where you can have the Safe Boating manual opened beside you or better yet have someone else do the test for you? Ask 10 boaters around here which side is Port, might get 1 that knows, maybe. The boaters test should also include a "on water" test. That ain't gonna happen in my lifetime.

high&dry

Seaman
I tried to translate that post into Canadian, close. I, we get your point. Idiots are idiots and you can't fix stupid. You are preaching to the choir Mate. I would like to see legislation here in Ontario Canada where you can't swing a cat without hitting a big lake. That legislation would limit the distance offshore you are allowed to boat based on the size of boat or vessel. Pretty simple really. To simple for our Provincial or Federal Parliament to understand. I am tired of towing in families of 6 in a 14 foot tinny with a dead 40 year old 9.9 or risking my vessel and crew getting too many people on my 20 footer when I'm high tailing it in from a storm on the Great Lakes, they are inland seas. Babies no older than 3 in a 14 foot sardine can packed with 6 people 5 miles from shore in 1 meter waves, stupid idiots. I can't leave them out there but wish I could leave the dumbass father on his own.

All we need in this world is more legislation to tell me what I can and cannot do. Thanks I will pass. A 19 footer floats as good 20 miles out as does a 30 footer right side up. But most sub-20 foot boats float decidedly better than that 30 footer plus if capsized. I will take my chances in (or on) my 19 foot Outrage because if it comes to the worst of it, I can get my tan on the upside down hull which will float, high'n'dry and is absolutely unsinkable. Maybe instead of legislating by the foot we could legislate by a legislated IQ test. Less than 120 maybe you can only go five miles out but if you are a 90 then maybe on small lakes only?

Going offshore should be taken seriously, yeah, that is a truth.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Possible Assitance Needed...
maybe...would depend on the weather
lots of other reasons actually

six stubbies...or half a dozen
potato...spud
l'll shut up now.

Nathanvg

Cadet
Possible Assitance Needed...
maybe...would depend on the weather
lots of other reasons actually

six stubbies...or half a dozen
potato...spud
l'll shut up now.
Right mayday if imminent loss of life or vessel. Pan pan for urgent risk but not imminent.

ajgraz

Lieutenant Commander
Ah, so what if you're preaching to the choir...the choir doesn't always know everything!

For example, due to some local forum chatter regarding a recent near-sinking of a fishing yacht just offshore, I just learned that any vessel with a VHF radio is required to monitor channel 16 whenever not actively using the radio to communicate on another channel:
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=mtWatch

I've been boating for over 40yrs, and I never knew that was a requirement.

Sub-example: the guy who motored over to render assistance on that incident GoPro'd the entire thing, and seeing how easy and unrestrictive his SOSpenders-type PFD was, I'm getting that. Then I'll have no excuse not to wear mine.

Another example: without these forums, I might never have heard about the new MOB+ wireless kill switch, and I might have continued to be one of those lazy a-holes who hardly ever actually hooks up to the lanyard.

Another: somehow I missed the Kidde extinguisher recall, but these forums let me know about it.

Last edited:

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
Since l made the choir comment l shall respond,
Old mate Andrew who started this thread lives in Australia, as do l...he lives up the top somewhere l live on an island down the bottom so it has a aussie starting theme then goes international, like in Thunderbirds lol

He makes his points, if you read the first post again,
l agree but point out these dills are not going to come here and read stuff about boats and weather etc etc
why would they?
they just wanna go out and get p....d mostly
They are certainly not gonna come here and read boat regs and requirements from another country

the examples you give re lanyards, fire extinguishers and VHF aren't law here...at the moment anyway,

am l reading the example right about VHF radios you say you must watch ch 16
so obviously the boat MUST BE fitted with a VHF at all times?
here in this state it's recommended but not a legal requirement YET though we have them anyway as do a lot of people here in coastall waters,

Old Ironmaker

Captain
When they need to put warnings on hair blowers not to be used underwater we know that we are doomed as a species. I don't want more legislation for stupid people but it may save me from towing in a family of 5 including a 3 year old a 14' tinny many miles out on a Great Lake. It happened again last Friday, again!!!!!!!!. Dead 14 footer with a 30 year old 9.9 in 1 meter waves 5 miles offshore, Ruined our day of fishing. Ask me if they thanked me? I'm a 2nd generation Canadian but can say thank you in 5 languages, including ch*&%ese, I self edited country of origin.

If I take onboard someone's illegal catch of fish am I liable for the fine? Rhetorical question.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Guilt by association is a big thing in my state. Might be different in Canada.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
I just learned that any vessel with a VHF radio is required to monitor channel 16 whenever not actively using the radio to communicate on another channel:

I've been boating for over 40yrs, and I never knew that was a requirement

Most (modern) VHF radios monitor channel 16 automatically.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
My VHF automatically goes to 16 when turned on. Here in Canada one requires a licence to transmit on a VHF. I don't know many that have a VHF and a licence to operate it. If I have to call out a Pan, Pan, Pan or Mayday I'll take the fine.

Tassie 1

Chief Petty Officer
In most Australian states there is no fine issued if it's a life or death situation,

common sense should prevail in other situations.