Replace safety items

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Was wondering how often should I. Or how often do others replace the safety items you carry?

First aid kits, life jackets, fire extinguisher, and such...

tpenfield

Staff member
All of your pyrotechnics (flares) expire fairly quickly, so make sure you have a set that is within the expiration date. Life jackets, if they become ripped are not considered good, so those would get a replacement. The fire extinguishers have a dial indicating the contents pressure, etc. So those can be checked annually and replaced as needed.

I usually get a new first aid kit every few years as the old ones become moldy.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
The fire extinguishers a dial indicating the contents pressure, etc. So those can be checked annually and replaced as needed.
Not sure if it's an actual regulation but the local inspectors will give you a hard time if the contents of a dry extinguisher are compacted. If the contents don't "shake" you need a new one.

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
Here in Alberta, Canada, fire extinguishers are to be inspected every 2 years for proper operation and charge, some extinguishers are required to be inspected every year but they are few and far between regular extinguishers. for the few dollars it costs to have them inspected I get mine done every year as they sit in extreme heat and cold. Up here the extinguishers with the plastic heads can not be inspected or recharged, the ones with the plastic nozzle but a metal head can be recharged and inspected. Also extinguishers have an expiry date at which time you can use them as buoys after they are emptied.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Here in Alberta, Canada, fire extinguishers are to be inspected every 2 years for proper operation and charge, some extinguishers are required to be inspected every year but they are few and far between regular extinguishers. for the few dollars it costs to have them inspected I get mine done every year as they sit in extreme heat and cold. Up here the extinguishers with the plastic heads can not be inspected or recharged, the ones with the plastic nozzle but a metal head can be recharged and inspected. Also extinguishers have an expiry date at which time you can use them as buoys after they are emptied.

That's something I never considered before. Since boating in Canada is Federal if it is law there for extinguishers it is here on Ontario as well. I know if a boat is over 20 feet or longer a extinguisher is required and it must be one of the white units minimum. I have to check about inspections. Who inspects them, Fire Dept?

hemi rt

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's something I never considered before. Since boating in Canada is Federal if it is law there for extinguishers it is here on Ontario as well. I know if a boat is over 20 feet or longer a extinguisher is required and it must be one of the white units minimum. I have to check about inspections. Who inspects them, Fire Dept?

Most fire departments can have a look at them but they don't do the actual inspections or recharging. Look in your phone book under fire extinguishers and you should find a few companies that can do the actual inspection and recharge; they will then attach a tag that will show when the inspection was done and when it should be done again. Around here it runs between $60.00 to $75.00 to have them redone. We carry a 5 lb extinguisher as I think the small 2 lb units are just too small and we would have a little reserve, in most case, if the fire came back to life as you usually don't empty it when putting out a fire.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Most fire departments can have a look at them but they don't do the actual inspections or recharging. Look in your phone book under fire extinguishers and you should find a few companies that can do the actual inspection and recharge; they will then attach a tag that will show when the inspection was done and when it should be done again. Around here it runs between $60.00 to $75.00 to have them redone. We carry a 5 lb extinguisher as I think the small 2 lb units are just too small and we would have a little reserve, in most case, if the fire came back to life as you usually don't empty it when putting out a fire.

Thanks for the reply hemi rt (I bet I know what you drive) We carry 2@2 pound units, a 5 pounder is too large for my smallish boat. I would just replace them if Heaven forbid I need to use them. I looked and 1 is a red 5-B-C and the white marine unit is A-B-C.

Something I always ensure is on board and fully charged is a Battery Booster pack of 1000 amp. Loss of power during a storm could be fatal. Plus it has USB port to charge cell phones. I think it is a must have for a boat. Also a fully charged cell phone. I mentioned it before that here in Canada *16 will get you the Cdn Coast Guard , not sure about the USA. I always carry a blood glucose test kit and plenty of both types of insulin. Benadryl for Bee stings etc. is very important out in the middle of nowhere. My First Aid kit is loaded with must haves as well including plenty of water proof matches , fire starter cubes and electronic gas lighters. And last but not least a good quality flare gun and current flares, a few boxes full. I always see in the movies where someone says, "We are down to our last flare Captain!" Most everything goes in good water proof ziplock freezer bags. Almost forgot I throw a woman's compact mirror in for signaling. All of this stuff fits in a large Ziplock bag, including the booster and gun. I throw a few of those small Silica bags into it to help with moisture build up.

Now to finally answer your question (sorry) at the beginning of the season I go through all the safety items and replace as necessary. I have a list for the must haves onboard the boat and I keep with all my paperwork for the boat and trailer along with my checklist for winterizing and spring launch.

Here in Canada any tear in a PFD is not considered a working PFD. It must be replaced and not repaired no matter how small a tear.

Last edited:

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
GReat info,,,,yes my main concern was the fire extinguisher, I've been replacing mine every season. I have kids so my first aid kit takes a beating....they think they need a cold pack and a wrap with they get a little cut.......

Thanks all.....

JoLin

Vice Admiral
No need to replace every season. Portable, non-rechargeable extinguishers are to be replaced at a maximum of 12 years old. I just replaced the 2 Kidde 10-pounders on my bot. They were stamped 2007 on the bottom and still showed a full charge.

"Certification or licensing by the state or local jurisdiction as a fire extinguisher servicing agency should be required for annual maintenance of extinguishers with one exception. There are a number of approved small extinguishers that are not intended to be recharged (typically B-I rated extinguishers). The fire extinguisher label will clearly state that the extinguisher is non-refillable or non-rechargeable and is to be removed from service at a maximum interval of 12 years from the date of manufacture. Because these units cannot be recharged, the annual maintenance requirements do not require disassembly of the extinguisher. Due to the special responsibility of the owner or operator of a vessel for the safety of the crew and vessel, the USCG considers that the annual maintenance for non-
rechargeable extinguishers may be performed by those designated by the owner or operator. Thus, a qualified servicing agency is not required for maintenance of non-rechargeable extinguishers. However, a record of maintenance must be available for the use of the Coast Guard inspector."

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice

There is nothing in the regulations that state the Fire Extinguisher must be white. There are many available that are still red, but they must be marked for "Marine Use"

http://laws-lois.justice.gc.ca/eng/r...ge-2.html#h-10

Last edited:

On Holiday

Seaman Apprentice
When replacing flares, keep the old ones on board and if in an emergency you have extra flares to work with. If the emergency isn't too dire, you can use the expired flares first.

HinesVernon

Cadet
Not sure if it's an actual regulation but the local inspectors will give you a hard time if the contents of a dry extinguisher are compacted. If the contents don't "shake" you need a new one.
Is there a good resource for more information about what to expect and how to prepare for local inspectors? Even a thread on the site would be great!

dpoff

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks to lawnpro for the post. Reminded me to change out the contents of my first aid kit. Nobody wants to have bandaids/gauze/ disinfectant that is out of date or useless when needed.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
Thanks to lawnpro for the post. Reminded me to change out the contents of my first aid kit. Nobody wants to have bandaids/gauze/ disinfectant that is out of date or useless when needed.

I didn't know bandages and gauze has a best before date, If someone is bleeding profusely they are getting expired first aid.

ronward

Petty Officer 1st Class
I didn't know bandages and gauze has a best before date, If someone is bleeding profusely they are getting expired first aid.

i didnt either but I bet if someone were bleeding out they wouldn't complain if the bandages and gauze were out of date.first aid kits SHOULD be kept current. but an out of date one is better than nothing. Make sure you have SOMETHING on board.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
i didnt either but I bet if someone were bleeding out they wouldn't complain if the bandages and gauze were out of date.first aid kits SHOULD be kept current. but an out of date one is better than nothing. Make sure you have SOMETHING on board.

Actually I thought it a joke as per a best before date for bandages. I can see it if unwrapped but sealed? Johnson and Johnson must have come up with the legislation. Do lawmakers actually read the Bills they pass? I have Tensor wraps from my first knee job in 78', I jest not.

jetboater

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I check everything at the beginning of the season and replace anything that needs it.

I also started carrying a package of “?Quik Clot”?. which is a blood clotting agent developed for the battlefield years ago and now available at drug stores and Amazon (sounds like a commercial but I have no affiliation with them). Their website says its the only clotting agent used by all 5 branches of the US military.

It’?s capable of stopping the bleeding from a bullet wound so it should handle anything I come across out on the water. It comes as a powder or on gauze bandages and runs about $8-15 a package but I figured it’?d be worth it if ever needed.

Also, on the dry powder fire extinguishers, it’s been mentioned that they “settle” over a period of time and don’t work. (You can tell by shaking it if it’s settled). I turn mine over and hit the bottom hard a few times with a rubber mallet and it breaks up the settling. I do this once a year and mine stay good til their 10year expiration date. Thought I’?d pass this along.

Last edited:

Mopie

Cadet
No, they do not read them.

I always add a bunch of bandaids and a tube of antibiotic ointment to each first aid kit. That is what gets used first anyway.
All of this gets old quickly in the heat and cold. Adjesives get real sticky, but still work.
And of course there is the imported factor of not knowing what it is or where it came from.