Proper use of a compass on the water.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
In modern days lots of people think that you need only gps for navigation but It is always nice to learn how to navigate. Compass at very basic. Sounds like no brainer but many people dont get it anyway. One good tip is to use your compass while your boat is still floating. :D

That's why I asked the question. Limped back to shore in soup, no stew like fog with my GPS. Had I not had it or had a power failure to the GPS unit bad things could have happened, like slamming into the sheer rock face on each side of the harbour with no where to beach the boat. Anchoring in a Great Lake shipping lane wasn't an option to wait out the fog.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
That's why I asked the question. Limped back to shore in soup, no stew like fog with my GPS. Had I not had it or had a power failure to the GPS unit bad things could have happened, like slamming into the sheer rock face on each side of the harbour with no where to beach the boat. Anchoring in a Great Lake shipping lane wasn't an option to wait out the fog.
Radar.....lol

A compass is useless unless you know where you are (approx) and where you need to be.

My first real navigational challenge found me 25 miles from the barn, low on fuel with less than an hour of daylight left.

I was working a school of Stripers moving south with a group of charter boats in November. Preoccupied with catching fish, I lost sight of the Charters and visibility was down to less than a 1/2 mile. Worst yet, I didn't have a clue where I was. I was somewhere on the eastern edge of the shipping channel (10 to 15 miles from either shore) and that was about it. I literally didn't know what State (Maryland or Virginia) I was in.

Just short of panic, I broke out the binoculars and spotted a buoy a couple of miles away. Ran over to get the number off of it. I was in Virginia... real panic now. Not enough time and gas to head East and follow the coast back to the inlet. I only had one shot at getting back before it got dark and I ran out of fuel. Broke out the chart book and a ruler to come up with a course heading. My $8 stick-on compass didn't give me high hopes to say the least...

Long story short, I missed the inlet by less than a 1/4 mile from 25 miles out. Cold, dark and almost out of fuel but I made it back to the dock. The next day I went out and bought a Magellan GPS 2000 hand held. Crazy expensive at the time but the experience opened my eyes to how easy it is to get lost in your own back yard.

Today, I have a Ritchie Navigator compass, two chart plotters (one with radar) and a hand held (my old Magellan) to compliment my chart book. With all this, I still steer compass headings. Use the chart plotter(s) for course headings and location feedback only.

Last edited:

Mohawkmtrs

Chief Petty Officer
Dingbat:

Your story is the perfect reason for anyone with a boat to take courses from USPS or CPS.

In Canada, it is mandatory to have a Pleasure Craft Operators Card (PCOC). Most people think this is a "boating license" and all they need...believe me it's just the beginning of the learning.

"The PCOC will get you out on the water...CPS will get you back".

When your out on a clear day take a note pad and wright down compass courses you commonly take. Going out and back. And what your speed or rpm is. Time each rout. Laminate it and keep it on your boat.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
When your out on a clear day take a note pad and wright down compass courses you commonly take. Going out and back. And what your speed or rpm is. Time each rout. Laminate it and keep it on your boat.

Thanks, a great suggestion. Since posting this question I have started to learn the basics of navigation. I have local charts laminated with a ruler and paint stick on board.I will be taking a local Sail and Power Squadron course in January and that will get me my VHF permit as well. A retired commercial fisherman checked my compass and he said it was accurate. I will be less sheepish the next time we head out 10 to 15 miles in the shipping lanes.

Thanks, a great suggestion. Since posting this question I have started to learn the basics of navigation. I have local charts laminated with a ruler and paint stick on board.I will be taking a local Sail and Power Squadron course in January and that will get me my VHF permit as well. A retired commercial fisherman checked my compass and he said it was accurate. I will be less sheepish the next time we head out 10 to 15 miles in the shipping lanes.

Practice keeping a corse on your compass without looking up, it's easy to tern the wrong way or o er correct. Bring a friend to keep an eye out for logs and boats.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Practice keeping a corse on your compass without looking up, it's easy to tern the wrong way or o er correct. Bring a friend to keep an eye out for logs and boats.
One would think you would practice steering a course without staring at the compass. ;)

Last edited:
One would think you would practice steering a course without staring at the compass. ;)

Yes you are right, if you can't see any thing out the window the compass the is your only option. Im a fishing guide in SE Alaska from 1989. before gps all I had was a compass flasher and a vhf. I seen my share of fog. But yes you are right about keeping course without looking at your compass. I used the glow of the sun threw the fog to stay on course just keep the sun at the same angle relieve to your course but keep checking your compass. I also use the wind and chop or swell angle to keep on course. Just my 2 cents