What size anchor do I need?

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Hi All,

First-timer here to the world of boating and to online forums!

I just bought an 18ft 2,200lb Bowrider, and wondering what size and type of anchor is best.

Also, how do I secure it to the boat (just tie it to the stainless steel hooks on the bow?)...since boat doesn't come with dedicated anchor storage/location?

Kdreese89

Seaman Apprentice
That's a loaded question. Weight of the vessel ha a small portion of it.

More importantly what is the bottommtype you anchor in?

What wind and sea state do you typically anchor in?

How long do you usually stay anchored for?

Based on that and the size and holding strength of your new anchor you can begin looking at the holding strength of your fittings.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
The lake is over 20 miles long, almost 5 miles wide, with about 20 islands in it. Maximum depth is less than 30ft deep. No idea about wind speed - average lake winds?? Hope to anchor in places close to islands where depth is about 10 or 15ft deep so kids can swim. Bottom of the lake is mostly sandy, but weedy in lots of areas.

Looperdoo

Cadet
I fish the Ohio River . 14 ft V-Hull when I do anchor I have a 20 pound mushroom lots of time I drift fish or tie off to safe object or beach it.But safety 1st always..

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just got by boating license - turns out the course teaches you all about anchor types and sizes!

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
5kg Bruce (sometimes called M) anchor with 10ft chain and 30ft + of rope will see you right in those conditions. Tried and tested with my boat, which is of a similar type and weight. Just be careful when deploying and retrieving it. It's way too easy to knock it off the boat. Best to have a heavy duty bag to store it in too. Makes a hell of a mess if not.
Attach it to the trailer winch eyelet if you don't have a cleat on the topsides of the bow area like me.
I keep mine in the storage area under the bow seats.

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Not thin chain obviously. The heaviest type you can get on a shackle that fits the anchor attachment point.

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
How easy is it to release and raise the anchor after dropping and hooking it up to a rock at the bottom of the lake?

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
How easy is it to release and raise the anchor after dropping and hooking it up to a rock at the bottom of the lake?

That depends a lot on the design of the anchor. I'm lucky, most lakes I go to are sand or mud(loon crap) bottoms. Most anchors come out fairly easily when pulled from above or slightly up wind/current from them. When buried in 'Mud' they can have a real scent to them, hmm... maybe I'm not so lucky

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Picked up a 6lb. Danforth at a flea market ($5). Was going to use it as a "in case". Looking at it I noticed that one side had a bent roofing nail where a pin should be. This bent nail changed the angle of the anchor tips making it grab; dig; catch faster. Also has no effect retrieving. It holds a 1800 Bayliner. I know its not right; but it works! Got spare nails in the box; (and another anchor)

jsparks747

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I use a Columbia River anchor for the rocky bottom of Puget Sound. When I am fishing soft bottom lakes or rivers I use a 10 lb folding grapnel anchor. ou can throw it well, it grabs well, holds well, and releases well. Plus it folds up so you can fit is in smaller places.

b.gagnon

Master Chief Petty Officer
My guess is 6-11lb max with 6-10' of 1/4" chain....
I use an 11lb claw with 6' of 1/4" chain on a 21' 4200lb Center console in the ocean and never have a problem! I also use a 2.2lb claw with 4' of 1/4" chain on a 13' whaler with no issues.... I boat in Buzzards Bay (Mass) and it is always Nasty!

Rookster

Petty Officer 1st Class
Those little anchors seem to hold much better than a newbie might guess!