SOLAS approved

gordo9742000

Cadet
Cant seem to find anything online. I was wondering if a piece of equipment is SOLAS approved does it satisfy all U.S.C.G. ratings. I see a lot of stuff out there without the USCG stamp. I would think that SOLAS would be set to much higher standards but not sure.Thanks.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

SOLAS certificate depends on flag state and certifying body depending on which certificate is has and when it was certified. (SOLAS for those who dont know is Safety Of Life At Sea)

Flag state trumps certifying bodies and USCG

was it Lloyds Register, DNV, GL, etc?

there would be a registration tag on the piece of equipment along with a certificate number and the vessel would have appropriate D.O.C. (Document Of Compliance) on board or it doesnt sail. the piece of equipment is also subject to annual inspections to remain in compliance

specifically, what type of equipment? assuming crane or davit or liferaft

gordo9742000

Cadet
Was thinking more along the lines of life jackets and immersion suits. I was in Portugal and they sold immersion suits exactly the same as the ones that I have. Only thing that was different was that they did not have the USCG markings. They were significantly cheaper than what I paid. He said he could get USCG approved ones but for about the same as I paid. Just wondering if they are SOLAS approved could I use them in US waters?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
In us waters the USCG tag will be required if your inspected. I do not know if they fall under any SOLAS certification, however if they did, you would probably need to have them tested every year in front of a surveying engineer like SOLAS cranes