NEVER FORGET ABOUT YOUR ANCHOR!!!

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Going through some film from the summer and found out my camera was rolling during one of the scariest times of my boating life (and ive only owned a boat for a year now :eek:) ...

https://youtu.be/jcm_9Etv1G8

Hopefully this becomes helps someone remember to always check your anchor before going WOT

ccarver80

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thank you.. it's embarrassing on my part I just hope to maybe help someone else in the future to remeber to check there anchor

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Dang, that was scary. Could have been much worse. I've took off with the anchor down too, but all it did was slow me way down. Glad you were not hurt.

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
I must add: I've done this too but felt it dragging, pulled the anchor up and all was fine :)

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner
I've taken off with the anchor down. Felt a slight bump and thought it was off I'd hit something in deep water. Then I realized it was the motor sawing through the anchor line. I now have a new anchor :facepalm:

tpenfield

Staff member
That was your lucky day . . . You could have been seriously killed by that thing.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I hate to confess but this also happened to me on my Bass Boat. I was fishing with a friend and we were anchored. We decided to move to a new place and I, being up front, cranked up the anchor not seeing what was going on in the back of the boat. We both sat down in the traveling seats to power on and I gave the throttle and after a little time I heard a huge thud hit just behind the friend's passenger seat. If it would have been a foot further forward, it would have hit him in the head. And being 15 lb mushroom anchors, it properly would not turn out good. I realize he didn't crank up his anchor, but me being the boat owner should have checked. Never happened ever again. Lesson learned without anybody getting hurt or killed. :eek:

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Pretty amazing. Glad you are here to share that lesson with us.

proshadetree

Lieutenant Commander
Great video, think that will make me much more diligent in anchor checks in the future.

rcmpvet

Seaman Apprentice
Admit it, truth be told you were practicing your technique for your Louisiana trip to troll for gators.:laugh:

Glad you were not hurt.

Cat nip

Petty Officer 1st Class
That was a scary ride. I would suggest you invest in a good anchor man. I have done that also but hasn't happened when my anchor man was on duty lol.

bigtwin35

Cadet
very scary video. that will sink into my memory pretty good. I'm a novice boater so yeah you help at least one person. thanks for sharing!

Jeepster04

Chief Petty Officer
Unfortunately Ive done the same thing and Ive been in the boat when its happened other times. Most of the time its no big deal since the depth is so great the anchor is well behind the boat. Feel it dragging, stop and get it, no biggie.

This past summer though really upsets me. We had been swimming and sitting around for a good bit. Someone decided they wanted to ski and started getting things together rather quickly. Jumped in the water and we took off. I look back just as they are coming out of the water and I see the anchor skipping about literally 10' in front of them! Didnt feel any drag at all, the guy on the skis didnt even see it and ask why we stopped. That incident makes me sick to my stomach still....

Newbie@boats

Chief Petty Officer
That definitely could of been deadly.

Thank god you're ok. I could imagine if that was seriously hooked in the ground it could of ripped the celt right off the boat. Even the rope snapping and coming into the boat could of done enough damage.

Lesson learned. Great reminder