New boat. Tips??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waterwhippin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just got a 17' 1963 glastron off craigslist. Never had this big of a boat, any tips to get me started? I'll be fishing an a somewhat shallow river. Has a 65 5hp evinrude on it

Attachments

• 20160813_132410.jpg
    20160813_132410.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Shallow water... watch for the prop hitting bottom. That gets expensive fast.

5 hp on a 17 ft ... you aren't going fast.

Invest in PFDs that are comfortable to wear all the time.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Congrats on the new boat. Look at the other recommendations on boating safety course, required safety gear, fuel rule of thirds, etc. Suggest getting used to the feel of the boat's handling in open, calm (no or few spectators), then progressively trickier conditions (wind, current, more boats, people)). Forward, reverse, turning, etc. so when you get into those situations, you will be more comfortable. Get a feel for how much room you need to maneuver your bigger boat. Happy boating!

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Nice looking boat :)

Do the regular maintenance like compression check, change the water pump and change the lower end gear oil. I would look into buying a factory repair manual (around $40) for your motor, model number and year. You'll save a lot of money doing most repairs yourself.

Last edited:

Waterwhippin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thank yyou for the tips, a safety thread would be very helpful. Silly question but will that boat have a plus like my '15 foot has? I didn't think of asking when I bought it and he didn't mention anything

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
Thank yyou for the tips, a safety thread would be very helpful. Silly question but will that boat have a plus like my '15 foot has? I didn't think of asking when I bought it and he didn't mention anything

What is a plus? Just wondering :)

David Young

Chief Petty Officer
The plug in the back of the boat so you can drain water out? If so, every runabout boat i've ever seen has one. You can buy them at Walmart for $3. I keep a new spare one in the glove box :)

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yes by all means do have a spare plug and a spare prop as well along with a spare prop nut, you will soon learn they don't float no matter how many times you try.
Over the winter take the time to take a safe boater class, get a small first aid kit and learn to do upkeep on your motor. If your not already skilled then go to an empty parking lot and learn to back up your trailer so you don't make a fool of your self at the ramp. Safe boating with your new toy!!

wrvond

Chief Petty Officer
Just got a 17' 1963 glastron off craigslist. Never had this big of a boat, any tips to get me started? I'll be fishing an a somewhat shallow river. Has a 65 5hp evinrude on it

What an awesome looking boat! Congratulations!
Besides the usual safety stuff that you should already have from your other boat, I'd suggest a color fish finder. They have them at Walmart for a very reasonable price, and it will significantly reduce your chances of striking the prop on the bottom.

Oh - and when you purchase that spare plug, check to make sure it fits!

Waterwhippin

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks! It came with everything including a color depth finder. I have a few spare plugs, but the boat is on the sidelines awaiting a new transom and stringers need bolstered at least.
I should get started on that here shortly.

Status
Not open for further replies.