Fatal boating accident

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/othe...rtying-lake-minnetonka-boaters-prevent-rescue

This one still makes me sick to my stomach. Lake Minnetonka was the first lake we splashed after buying our boat, and we will never go there again. Too many jackwagons racing along with big wakes and buzzing fishing boats, a yacht that was 50 feet off our starboard side, looked right at us (made eye contact with her) and then steered slowly to port and increased throttle. I couldn't overtake, so had to cut throttle, let her pass, turn to starboard and rev up a bit and hit the wake head on. Scared our daughter so bad she hid under the passenger side console for the rest of the trip and didn't ever want to go boating again (changed her mind on the next trip), and made my elderly father nervous. Made us really nervous when the wake splashed over the bow and the splashwell trim was an inch from submerging. We almost got swamped by this lady who pretty much said, "Screw you, I'm bigger, I'm going to overtake and cut in front". The sailboats and fishing boats were perfectly behaved. Pontoons were, well, pontoons. Not rude, but not considerate, probably rentals. Lol. The speedboats, PWCs, and yachts ruined our trip by buzzing, getting too close, making sudden heading changes and crossing in front of us... We cut the day short and left, and will never return. When I found this article from 2003, it solidified it. MN has 10,000+ lakes, we'll find another one to fish. No way would I EVER risk my family's lives trying to tube or ski there.

Old Ironmaker

Captain
If NY State believes killing a child and maiming a young woman driving anything while drunk is a "non violent" offence what do you have to do for them to be considered "violent"? This make me sick to my stomach. He is a very pretty young man, Danemora inmates love to entertain pretty young men. I am sure they will have the Welcome Wagon waiting for him. And being a child killer the CO's may just be a tad late getting to his "Welcome to Hell" party. He won't be pretty once he gets his parole. A minimum 5 here means 18 to 24 months incarceration, maybe.

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
Just High Income earners just exercising their Right to ignore Rules, Laws, Regulations, just because They're too Important to act like Peons

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
hey why not enjoy life and the lakes and go a nice slow speed.

There is a Rush experienced when accelerating and moving fast. "Nice slow speed" is like being in a coma.
I enjoy arriving at a destination, I do not enjoy the Journey to it. I will be very happy if they manage to build a Star Trek Transporter

Last edited:

ab59

Ensign
Sadly we too have had several boating deaths here on Shasta Lake in Ca. a couple of weeks ago a 12 year old girl was pulling her brother on a tube and somehow ran over him and he was lost to the lake and still missing. Her father was in the boat with her under the influence of alcohol and was charged with dui . Here is a really tragic circumstance for both the young girl who was inexperienced and will most likely need some counseling after this and a father who has lost his son for no good reason and of course the young boy who lost his life.
That said , last weekend there was a 20 yr old girl who was drunk and threw out her seven passengers as well as herself injuring several leaving a boat running at full WOT running in circles taking out docks and endangering every one that was near.
Just unnecessary and sad.

nurseman

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Just a follow up on this post from the past. If you ask me the sentence was way too light.

http://poststar.com/news/local/west...cle_7f72b537-5cb4-563d-b3c6-9afe19a064e7.html

I agree totally! Hope this guy gets to date some large, smelly inmate for a very long time!

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/othe...rtying-lake-minnetonka-boaters-prevent-rescue

This one still makes me sick to my stomach. Lake Minnetonka was the first lake we splashed after buying our boat, and we will never go there again. Too many jackwagons racing along with big wakes and buzzing fishing boats, a yacht that was 50 feet off our starboard side, looked right at us (made eye contact with her) and then steered slowly to port and increased throttle. I couldn't overtake, so had to cut throttle, let her pass, turn to starboard and rev up a bit and hit the wake head on. Scared our daughter so bad she hid under the passenger side console for the rest of the trip and didn't ever want to go boating again (changed her mind on the next trip), and made my elderly father nervous. Made us really nervous when the wake splashed over the bow and the splashwell trim was an inch from submerging. We almost got swamped by this lady who pretty much said, "Screw you, I'm bigger, I'm going to overtake and cut in front". The sailboats and fishing boats were perfectly behaved. Pontoons were, well, pontoons. Not rude, but not considerate, probably rentals. Lol. The speedboats, PWCs, and yachts ruined our trip by buzzing, getting too close, making sudden heading changes and crossing in front of us... We cut the day short and left, and will never return. When I found this article from 2003, it solidified it. MN has 10,000+ lakes, we'll find another one to fish. No way would I EVER risk my family's lives trying to tube or ski there.

I remember this. I had just moved to MN a couple years before this, and remember being appalled at the callousness of people who would hinder a rescue. I have only been on Minnetonka one time, but that was for an early morning fishing trip in a buddies boat. Not too many jerks out at 0600...

EchoNovember

Petty Officer 1st Class
I remember this. I had just moved to MN a couple years before this, and remember being appalled at the callousness of people who would hinder a rescue. I have only been on Minnetonka one time, but that was for an early morning fishing trip in a buddies boat. Not too many jerks out at 0600...

Definitely not Minnesota nice or what I have come to expect from my fellow Minnesotans. I was on Minnetonka once, never again. I was scared for my LIFE thanks to the cabin cruisers and other smaller boats that went WOT right past me. I had water splash up over my bow! It was like trying to boat in a bad storm and find a safe harbor. We swore off the lake, I wrote a nasty letter to the Lake Minnetonka Conservation group outlining the level of danger of those folks and telling them enforcement is null, and the jerks know it. Will never splash there again unless I have a Navy Destroyer. THEN we'll see who wants to be a jerk.

Last edited by a moderator: