Bowline knot

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Hi!
Is the bowline knot a safe not to use when tieing a 18ft bowrider to a dock cleat? I know that when a bowline is under a load it is strong but due to waves, the rope can become loose. Will a bowline be good still? Thanks

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
No knot needed. Use a cleat hitch. In case the pics don't show, the link - http://www.boatsafe.com/marlinespike/cleathitch.htm

cleat1.jpg
cleat2.jpg
cleat3.jpg

cleat4.jpg
cleat5.jpg

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Ok, Thanks, but if I were to make a loop is that a safe knot that I can trust?

fhhuber

Lieutenant
When its appropriate... a bowline is the king of knots. it holds with or without load. It will not let the loop change size. It even holds on line types that tend to slip with other knots.
And its relatively easy to untie even after being exposed to high tension.

Its great for dropping a line over a bollard.
But its the wrong knot for a cleat.

Last edited:

SeaDooSam

Chief Petty Officer
Yeah that knot on the pictures is the first I learned too and I use it most of the time. Thanks for the additional info

southkogs

Staff member
Ok, Thanks, but if I were to make a loop is that a safe knot that I can trust?
One of the lines I have on board has a bowline in one end. I use it to tie to all sorts of stuff (including cleats), and so far I haven't re-tied it in about 3 years :) Bowline is a great knot you can trust, when tied correctly.

nola mike

Vice Admiral
If I'm really paranoid about slipping, I throw an extra half hitch on the bowline. I used to know all kinds of knots, but now use a bowline 99% of the time.