What to do if caught in the rain

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Went out last weekend and got caught in some rain. No storm, just some rain. Weather forecast was a bit off and I got to thinking. ...

what should you do when caught in the rain?
Should one check the map and travel to get out of the rain, wait it out, return to port? If you move, at what speed? Do you need navigation lights if it is 2pm?

We were on the Illinois river, I checked the weather map and headed towards the short end of the clouds, which also happened to be toward our launch point. Wife and I did put on our jackets and just started moving at a speed where I thought I had ok visibility. The rain ended pretty quickly, but it got me thinking if I had made a mistake or not.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just like in a car on the highway, lights on if raining or reduced visibility. Nav lights are not just for nighttime boating.

Again, just like on the highway, you slow down so you can see. Remember, if you can't see, neither can other boaters.

The rest of the stuff is up to you. If you're already wet from the rain and it's not cold, enjoy it if you can.

Fed

Commander
If there's any lightning around lay your fishing rods down on the floor.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Just like in a car on the highway, lights on if raining or reduced visibility. Nav lights are not just for nighttime boating.

Again, just like on the highway, you slow down so you can see. Remember, if you can't see, neither can other boaters.

The rest of the stuff is up to you. If you're already wet from the rain and it's not cold, enjoy it if you can.
+1to both

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks guys. ..glad to hear I wasn't too far off. We got a little chilly, but not bad. It was kinda fun getting some light rain on the boat, but not something I want to seek out. I will remember the lights next time. All in all, this may have even been or best outing ever fun-wise

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
maybe not expert advice and have not taken the USCG "Boating Safety and Seamanship" since 1974, but..... this is what I do, never mind my suicidal tendencies :laugh: Amber lensed sunglasses or even regular sunglasses reduce glare, help keep water out of eyes, and you can see better in the reduced light of cloud cover - better contrast of floating debri/logs, other boaters, etc. Slow is best, but I prefer not being an open target for long and will run high speed for short distance only to avoid what "I" perceive to be a dangerous situation. Always remembering that my safety and the safety of my passengers is MY responsibility.

Lightning IS NOT your friend! Get to shore and out of the boat; as many trees as possible, stay low and away from the bank. Do not wait until the storm is close; lightning can strike for many many miles. Once upon a time, we were sitting out a storm at the ramp - thought it had passed and got out of the truck. While touching the door handle, lightning struck a tree probably 100 feet away; my left arm felt the voltage rather sharply. Respect the weather and live to go again

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
With the boats I'm on it's either get wet or get rain gear. Lightning, seek shelter.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I hear you on the lightning. Any chance of severe storms and I stay home. The day we were out was isolated rain chances. I do also have s plastic windshield that zips in between the Bimini and the boat windshield to help.

I do have to say, after getting caught I would be willing to risk plain rain as long lightning energy isn't in the forecast. I may Getty s few more boating days in from now on. :)

robert graham

Admiral
A dry bag with rain gear, dry clothes, sweaters, caps, gloves, etc. is a good idea....even on a warm day, after you get soaked plus the wind chill of 20 to 40 MPH can make you miserable.....plus, if your wife/girlfriend gets wet and cold she might not go out with you on the boat again....it's the Captain's responsibility for the passenger's comfort and safety....