Orlando Area

redfalcon

Cadet
I bought a Crownline 94 and I am in the process of restoring it. In the meantime I would like to know about boating destinations or recommendations around Orlando area. I was thinking about going to Jacksonville via St Johns river but I have never took a boat to the river. Thanks

robert graham

Admiral
Your best bet might be to put your boat in at Sanford and cruise up the river as far as Palatka....lots to see and do, springs to swim in, great fishing, motels/resorts on the river, a few restaurants, marinas with gas, etc....above Palatka the St. John's gets wider, bigger, not as scenic towards Jacksonville. Welaka and the Ocklawaha River are nice areas to check out....that's where we're heading tomorrow....it's almost heaven....

series9

Seaman Apprentice
I agree with Robert. I live in DeLand and have regularly travelled the St. Johns from Lake Monroe to Palatka. There are many restaurants and destinations. Start with Swamp House in Debary. It's one of my favorites.

There is a LONG slow/idle zone between Debary and DeLand, but after that, it's pretty wide open all the way to Astor. After a few slow downs prior to Lake George, it's full speed all the way up.

Astor has two good restaurants. Welaka also has two.

I've done DeLand to Palatka in one day, with stops in Astor for lunch, Silver Glen for swimming, Welaka for dinner and Palatka for the overnight at a waterfront hotel.

Lake George can be very dangerous in bad weather, so plan accordingly.

robert graham

Admiral
Yep, we always try to cross Lake George earlier in the morning before the heat of the day brings the wind/whitecaps.....

TCATTC

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Got caught in that coming back across last time we were there. It will beat you to death in a pontoon.

Tooth fairy 62

Recruit
Hi fellow Boaters,
I go by CK and just got a nice 25 foot Glastron cabin cruiser with a blown engine.getting it fixed right now.
I was planning to go on St. John's river as well from Sanford for my first ride. Of course after testing the boat couple hours in the lakes.
Question would be is there any interest to go together to have a little bit more security in case something doesn't go as planned.
Let me know by PM or post something in here.
Since this is my first bigger boat is someone willing to help me to gain a bit expierence with it?
The boat should be ready by the end of September

Thanks CK

Fireman431

Rear Admiral
St. Johns is an easy river to navigate. As far as the long idle zone, it's actually a couple....Blue Springs is a long one and Hontoon Marina area is a long one. After that, there's an easy ride. Look into the dead river (runs parallel with the St. Johns). Slow ride, but scenic old Florida. As far as assistance, spend the $150 a year and get Sea Tow or Tow Boat U.S.