Welaka, Fl. St. John's River

robert graham

Admiral
Well, Sunday the boss-lady and I are dragging the boat to Welaka, Fl. for our yearly excursion down the beautiful St. John's River, camp a few nights on the boat, other nights at some resorts like the Welaka Lodge and Hontoons Resort....swim in the springs, bird-watch, manatee watch, alligator watch, etc.....if any of you guys ever want to get near a little piece of heaven, this is the area to visit....hopefully we'll be back in a couple of weeks....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner
Re: Welaka, Fl. St. John's River

We visited the Welaka spring but did not stay in the lodge . Absolutely beautiful place ! I did not know you could bring your boat up to the lodge . Sounds like a great time . Wish we were tagging along . Would love to here the details of your trip when you return .
Have fun and stay safe !

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

I hope you go to Salt Springs off Lake George. The best water on the river and the most fun group there on weekends.

robert graham

Admiral

Yep, I've been visiting this section of the St. John's for 60+ years now and from Welaka to Sanford there's a lot to see and do....Salt Springs, Silver Glen Springs and Blue Springs are all on our stops along the way....the scenery and wildlife in these areas is just spectacular!....We haul the boat 460 miles down there and it seems like a lot of trouble and expense, but once there we know it was worth it!....

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

What type boat do you have ? Just wondering how mine would fair with the shallows and such .. I,m chomping at the bit to check out new to me areas ..

robert graham

Admiral

What type boat do you have ? Just wondering how mine would fair with the shallows and such .. I,m chomping at the bit to check out new to me areas ..

Mine is an Xpress 1870 with a C90 Yamaha.....shallow water is no problem....just trim up motor a bit at entrance to the springs where the sand can accumulate. The only thing to look out for is Lake George which can get pretty choppy on a windy day in the afternoons.....we try to cross that 12 miles in the morning hours. Of course our Jon boat ain't the greatest ride in the chop....if you have a V hull you can just charge right through it!....

BIGALF

Petty Officer 1st Class

My240 SeaRay deck boat is good for the water in Salt Springs. Just hug the markers and you will be fine.

robert graham

Admiral

We just got back home, but Welaka/St.Johns River was about a good as it gets....80 degrees, low humidity, blue skies, no bugs!....early spring or early fall is the best time to visit this area, but I'll take it whenever we can get down there......

robert graham

Admiral

Pics or vids ? :)

I hate to admit it, but I haven't learned how to post pictures yet....but take it from me, the Ocklawaha River on a warm early spring day is pretty near Heaven!....July/August is hot and some bugs, nays, flies, no-see-ums, Mosquitos, etc.....Check out the web site for the Welaka Lodge and Resort....very nice, pool, cottages, covered boat slips....nice folks...no drunks/hell raisers....