Boating in Hawaii.

Hello all. Hope I'm posting this in the right place.

As of the past few months I've been considering moving to the Kailua Kona region of The Big Island of Hawaii.

I was considering picking up one of these new Sea Doo Sparks and was wondering how that would work out there...

I've heard all the stories of how terrible Hawaii is and how bad it actually is from certain people, but I've lived all over the country and never really disliked anywhere. I make the most out of situations and am usually quite adaptable. I know how to surf and kayak and love doing both. There's no question that the region I mentioned is a literal paradise for Kayaking and Stand up Paddleboarding... But what about boating and more specifically, Jet Ski's?

I've seen a few boat ramps around the area, but not many north of Kailua Kona where all those "AMAZING" crystal clear waters are (Kua Bay for example). Those are what I would love to run a jet ski around in, tropical, clear, bright waters. Seem's there are a lot of coves, bays and places to explore.

For some reason there seems to be very little info on boating in that region, especially PWC/Jet Ski related.

Can anyone shine some light? Thank you very much!

tazrig

Lieutenant Commander
Re: Boating in Hawaii.

:welcome: SparkyMcSpark,

I hope your paddleboarding and kayaking is safer than here in MA.

shark-935.jpg :lol:

Thank you for the welcome! I'm in Arizona right now. It's beautiful here and I do love it, but I was raised around the beach and miss it. Not many sharks here in AZ :rolleyes:

brad4550

Recruit

Hi Sparky
The wife and I are moving to Hawaii also, not sure about those people not liking Hawaii it is a fantastic place to stay or live.
We have been to Mexico Hawaii and the keys right now Key Largo Fl. And by far the best has been Hawaii for snorkeling boating fishing and any other outdoor activities. As far as boat launch ramps you have the one at the marina one at Kona, down by the Sheraton, and one by Honaunau. We have seen personal watercraft all the way from the Sheraton .all the way up to the marina so it should be okay. Just stay out of the way of the snorkelers, and surfers.

Try this link

https://maps.google.com/maps?oe=UTF...=us&ei=ZscpU6z1H8afyQHuzoHgCw&ved=0CCUQ8gEwAA

Hey there, Brad. Thanks for the info!

I've heard that the locals there absolutely hate people from the mainland, but in modern times in a place like Kailua Kona I see quite a bit of diversity. Maybe there's some truth in it, but I'm white and have lived in areas full of what I was told were "hardcore Mexicans that dislike white folks" and they were as nice and friendly as ever. Maybe respect and just being friendly goes a long ways?

I found the ramp near the Sheraton but it's a ways south. I found the one up at the Marina north of town of course, I guess it's the closest? Is it a private launch right there in Kailua bay? I'm not sure what the range on the spark is or how far it can go with a full tank. I'm sure it would be fun to go to different parts of the island as well and launch from them.

I've heard the waters in Hawaii can get really choppy. I know in California there were days where it would definitely get choppy, but most days were relatively calm and a good many of them the water was as smooth as a lake. Is Hawaii quite a bit different? I just miss the bright blue calm oceans under the mid day sun, reflecting off in every which way.

Also, I was considering buying the Spark here in Arizona, we do have a TON of really amazing lakes right around the Phoenix area and of course lake Havasu is just a couple of hours away. I know a car costs around $1000 to ship to Hawaii, wouldn't a little watercraft like the spark on a small trailer be a bit less?

I guess Hawaii has a good boating scene after all then?

Thanks for any help anyone :)

brad4550

Recruit

Hi Sparky
Don't believe what you've heard the locals are very happy and the people that are coming over our very happy because a they live there or their on vacation lots of smiles and b the
locals are happy because they're spending money and lots of it.
As far as the water goes yes occasionally they do get choppy but you find that anywhere, i've been waiting days here for it to get Calm in Key Largo to go fishing. As far as I know Mattson is the only one to take your PWC to be shipped over to Hawaii I think you have to take it to LA.(Long Beach)? As far as cost I don't know for a PWC
to ship my 23 footer over is quite a bit.