Suwannee River (Branford FL) to Gulf

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class
I'm trying to plan a trip taking the Suwannee River to the Gulf sometime in the near future. Having been up and down the east coast of Florida on the intercostal and all around the St. John's, a less populated and more scenic trip would be much welcomed, plus the 74 mile span I'd be looking to do (Branford FL. to Gulf) over the course of a weekend is dotted the whole way with tons of springs.
I used to do a TON of kayaking and canoeing in the Branford/ Santa Fe area and I know that some years back the water levels got a little low in the Suwannee around there... but that was during a pretty dry season too, which this year has been quite the opposite.
I know where the Suwannee meets the gulf, the water is fairly deep and definitely deep enough to boat in, I just want to know if anyone has any knowledge about the water level/depth for the rest of the river more inland towards Branford/ Santa Fe? I would think that during an average year with normal rain levels (especially this year) it would be fine?

I just want to make sure I don't trailer my boat almost two hours just to get to a river that doesn't have enough water to float on.

kfa4303

Banned
Re: Suwannee River (Branford FL) to Gulf

Hi Jk. I live in Tallahassee and I've never heard of anyone having issues with the depth per se, but there are lots of submerged objects to beware of. Other than that it's a great river. It tends to be a little more tanic upstream and clears up as it gets closer to the Gulf. There are also several other navigable rivers in the area as well including the St. Marks, Wakulla, Econfina, etc......

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hi Jk. I live in Tallahassee and I've never heard of anyone having issues with the depth per se, but there are lots of submerged objects to beware of. Other than that it's a great river. It tends to be a little more tanic upstream and clears up as it gets closer to the Gulf. There are also several other navigable rivers in the area as well including the St. Marks, Wakulla, Econfina, etc......

Thanks for the info KFA, in general my boat doesn't draft but only 2 ft I think, so I don't think I should have an issue. But you bring up a good point about the submerged objects... and it's probably not like the St. John's or ICW, where they're marked either is it? I'll have to check out the other rivers you mentioned. I'm just looking for something to break up the "routine" trips we do here... a change of scenery.

robert graham

Admiral

You should be good to go from Branford South to the Santa Fe, Ichetucknee and on down to the gulf....could be some sand bars, logs, stumps here and there....a depth finder would be a nice idea to help save a prop or lower unit.....Cedar Key is only about 10 miles South from the mouth of the Suwannee....Good Luck!...

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

I really would like to do some of these trips also . Boating in unfamiliar water makes me a bit nervous though .
When do you think your gunna make the trip ?

kfa4303

Banned

Thanks for the info KFA, in general my boat doesn't draft but only 2 ft I think, so I don't think I should have an issue. But you bring up a good point about the submerged objects... and it's probably not like the St. John's or ICW, where they're marked either is it? I'll have to check out the other rivers you mentioned. I'm just looking for something to break up the "routine" trips we do here... a change of scenery.

The big thing to look out for is logs, but it's really not that bad. +1 The Ichetucknee is also a great little river and super fun to tube down on a hot summer day. They even have tube rentals and vans that will take you back your car.

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Sphelps: I'm hoping to shoot for doing it in the next few months. Once we get some good warm and stable weather patterns. I'm hoping I can get my wife on board with it to, and the in-laws on board for watching the little one for a day or two. But, he may even be up for it... he loves the boat just as much as the big boys.

KFA: Normally every year we go to the Itchetucknee, I used to live about 45 mins away and it was a trip we'd make several times a year. Now living a little further, we normally go about once a season. It is awesome, beautiful clear water. It was one of the selling points to keep my wife in Florida and to change her thoughts that all of Florida is like Jacksonville or Orlando. (She's a Tennessee'n)

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Love the Itchetucknee ! Frozen butt and sunburnt knee's ! :D
I usually snorkel most of the way .

kfa4303

Banned

Keeps the beer cold though! I love all of our spring fed rivers. They're one of the best parts of living inland in the "real" Florida. For the most part, they tend to be used by locals rather than the typical S.FL throngs. Here's a little vid I made on my local spring fed river, the Wakulla. It's only about 20-30 minutes away and I usually go at least 3-4 times a month when it's warm. I learned to swim there when I was a baby and got to teach my nephew to swim in the very same water a few years ago. You can also put the boat in several locations and go out to the Gulf in back with ease. Lots of manatees, fish, alligators, etc...there's also a State Park with glass bottom boat rides and all that olde timey Florida stuff too. It's the anti-South Beach.

Oct 13 2012 Wakulla River Critter movie - YouTube

Last edited:

jkimball

Petty Officer 1st Class

Keeps the beer cold though! I love all of our spring fed rivers. They're one of the best parts of living inland in the "real" Florida. For the most part, they tend to be used by locals rather than the typical S.FL throngs. Here's a little vid I made on my local spring fed river, the Wakulla. It's only about 20-30 minutes away and I usually go at least 3-4 times a month when it's warm. I learned to swim there when I was a baby and got to teach my nephew to swim in the very same water a few years ago. You can also put the boat in several locations and go out to the Gulf in back with ease. Lots of manatees, fish, alligators, etc...there's also a State Park with glass bottom boat rides and all that olde timey Florida stuff too. It's the anti-South Beach.

Oct 13 2012 Wakulla River Critter movie - YouTube

Nice video! That actually reminds me a lot of the Santa Fe. Is most of the river No Wake/ Minimum Wake zone? So it leads straight out to the gulf huh? that may be a trip to look into also.

Sphelps/ KFA would either of you fellow Northern Floridians be up for the Suwannee trip some time?

sphelps

Supreme Mariner

Yes ! That would be fun ! Maybe we can have an Iboats flotilla . :) My only problem is I just started a new building that has a real tight schedule . Probably gunna have to work every weekend for the next few months . :grumpy:
Give us a date you might want to go . I may be able to sneak away for a couple days .

kfa4303

Banned

Sounds good. Just give us a heads up. It's still a little chilly up here, but it'll be perfect in a month or so. There may even be a website for the Suwanee River Park to look at in the meantime. It has a concert site/camp ground that they hold music festivals at all the time. It's one of the few places I know of where you can beach your boat, go to the show and cruise back to the campground without ever using a car. Using Google Earth to get an areal view of the river is fun too. Most of the ramps are labeled and it has a cool little ruler/plotting tool that you can use to measure distances between locations, bends and all! Glad you're starting a new building Phelps. Hopefully, that means things are picking up a bit in the economy a wee bit.

Jlp3

Recruit

For river water levels on the Suwannee and Santa Fe, do a search for "Suwannee river water management district" and they post water levels daily.

Right now, the Suwannee and Santa are are no wake. You can also check out myfwc.com for no wake restrictions.

That said, as long as you don't go upriver from Branford you are fine. When water levels are low (which will be a while), there are rocks upriver from Branford.

There are great springs along the Suwannee. Also, go,up the Santa Fe to the Itchetucknee and anchor at the mouth (also, don't attempt if river is low). It's a fun place to hang out. Take some floats and tie them off.